We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First PC Build

AlexPritchard

Likes # 0

I'm thinking of building a mid-range gaming PC, this will be my first build and I need a little help with the components I want. My budget is approximately £700-800 but I don't mind going a little bit over if needs be. I won't be playing that many high end games, some examples are Shogun 2, Fallout, Just Cause, Half-Life etc.

I don't particularly want to overclock, at least not right away, and I want to be as future-proof as possible (though I guess that goes without saying really).

So far I have found this processor - Intel Core i7-2600 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155

I'm not too sure on the GPU, I've only had experience with Nvidia and have only looked at them so far. I'm not sure how much to spend here as I don't want to go overboard and if I can find an ATI card that's better/cheaper I will happily go for it, I just don't really know what to look for in this respect.

I have found this - GeForce GTX 560Ti

As for memory I reckon two 2GB sticks should suffice, but I haven't properly shopped around for this yet so not sure on any specifics.

When it comes to the motherboard I really don't know what to look for but I guess my other components largely dictate my choice, this is something I need a lot of help in.

Then there is also the case and PSU which I don't want to go to fancy with, unless I can prevent needing to upgrade later down the line.

I was thinking of buying a SSD for my OS and a few programs and having another HDD for any other programs and data, I'm not set on this though and if the difference isn't going to be very noticeable then I'm not sure the cost is going to be worth it. I can always put in a SSD later when they come down in price.

I think that's all except the additional peripherals like mouse and keyboard, I already have a copy of Windows 7 (64-bit) so that's sorted.

Like this post

Likes # 0

It's a good idea to trawl the commercial builders to see the bits of hardware they all choose to work together. They won't waste time on stuff that doesn't do the business because they can't afford to

I'm not a fan of overclocking.

Motherboards, I'm a Gigabyte buyer, but others may do the business just as well

Memory, just do Crucial. End of

Case and PSU. Just get a psu that does the business. But it's easy to replace later if it goes wrong

Like this post
AlexPritchard

Likes # 0

I've been looking at graphics cards (particularly ATI) and have found the ATI Radeon HD 6950 which is in approximately the same price range as the GeForce GTX 560Ti (as close as I could find to anyway).

Which one of these is the better one (if any)? I've never had any experience with ATI, but as far as I can tell there isn't much difference between these two GPUs (the particular ATI card I linked has more memory but that's all I could see). Are there any other cards I should consider in this price range? I've also decided against a SSD for now, so would it be worth setting up two graphics cards or is this overkill?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...