We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TVs and poor audio.

Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Have we really come forward with the TV world or gone backwards just to go Digital HD etc. Or did we have to go Digital to expand the size of screen and cut down weight of the TVs, it seems to me that digital has some way to go to catch up on TV sound and picture quality from the old CRT pound for pound. You didn’t have to buy extras to here it.

So at the moment we have LCD LED or Plasma for large displays.

Why should we have to fork out say from £150 to £500+ on surround sound so we can listen to a TV?

It seems there is always extras to buy even headphones aren’t cheap because of poor TV audio.

Or is digital about having multi channels to watch and for this we cant expect all round Good Quality as yet even if you pay around £1000+ for your TV.

I admit the anoulog TV isn’t as bright and fresh as digital while looking at it on a digital TV.

My old CRT 24-inch had excellent pic and sound quality.

Last TV I had a BEKO 32-inch. The picture quality was v good the audio side was awful, I had to purchase wireless head phones to listen to it as this was the cheapest option.

After 5 years the BEKO developed a fault and I decided to do some research for a TV under £1000 with a 5 year Guarantee.

My son bought a Samsung 48 inch it cost more than twice what I wanted to pay but the picture has the wow factor, the audio side poor and had to be complimented again with better audio a surround sound system.

I went for the Panasonic TX-L42E30B after some research. It has its faults during some panning motions it looks like a heat wave flowing through the picture.

Between the BEKO and Panasonic the BEKO had an all round better picture quality and seemed to be better with Free-view channels. (May-bee my imagination)

Audio is OK on the TX-L42E30B their is an equaliser to make adjustments and seems to work fine I make slight adjustments with the equaliser depending on some programs films etc. I could do with a sound a system of sorts but I cant find an inexpensive way round it.

So what would I do different in purchasing a TV, look for the best display around £600 disregard TV audio and allow £300 for surround-sound.

In other words a cheap BEKO may have done the job picture wise with a surround sound kit and I would have a DVD player and cost me less in the long run.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch

from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

You'll never get good audio with the size of speakers which can fit into a modern tv cabinet, particularly when,in many cases, they face the back!

They are little more than monitors, and you'll get better speakers in your car.

The old rules from way back in the days of turntables and pick ups still apply - spend the most money on the input and the output devices, because that's where the quality will show.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Certainly the CRT TV had the advantage of a big box to act as a speaker box - but even here audio was/is poor cousin to a dedicated sound system,

This can be achieved by channelling the out put to a separate existing audio system or a dedicated 'surround sound'

In my case I found the best bet to be 'wireless head phones'and not necessarily expensive set up either less than £20 from Lidl in my case.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

I have this bolted to the back of my 37" Panasonic TV Q-TV2

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

TV audio is inherently substandard due to the encoding/decoding process being lossy. Your ears are are also a less tolerant system to the eyes, so you are on to a looser with two thing against you. Then there's the advertising man, he wants bright colours (most TV's I see in showrooms remind me of the early Kodak Ektachrome slides). Most TV's are designed to bounce the sound -note the use of the word 'sound' - off the wall so the sound will depend on distance and wall material, a modern painted plasterboard wall will reflect sound differently to a older lime plaster wall with several layers of wallpaper (especially if flock or textured paper is used).

So go for a decent sound system to complement your TV. (then we can debate the valves versus transistors argument)grin

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

ICF neat and tidy idea from a refurb at £250 to £289 new its a step in the right direction.

This is what I should have taken into consideration when I first set my budget, and then chosen the TV instead of trying to get an all in one TV with best sound available.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Don't forget to set up the audio settings on the TV, there may well be controls that you can set up. I have an LG TV and that has bass and treble controls and also a choice of sound profiles.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Q-TV2

Went to TV & HiFi show at Manchester and heard it in action there and was blown away with the sound quality. With a bit of negotiation we got it for £200.If you want surround sound then it's not god for you but for a no messy wires solutions it can't be beaten.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......