We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Final Media Player review (Avoid)

Portal11

Likes # 0

having a film in a MKV format i needed to have a media player with the MKV compatibility, i did some reviews on the "final media player" and was recommended from microsoft's suggestions, as it was installing i was prompted to install Yahoo toolbar and a few other bits of software! like scanning and anti malware progs i UNCLICKED them all then was really annoyed to find out the program had STILL installed them all!??

my pc has been subjected to spam popups everytime when i open a browser and now it looks like i will have to uninstall the media player!

Its also worth pointing out this media player cannot whilst watching a film jump to later chapters or fast forwards!??? not sure why they havent thought of this basic option??

how come microsoft support such a company?

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

124 thanks for your reply! yea i did forget to mention that "Windows did search the internet for software to play the files" they suggested the Final media player as first option!

i am not sure of the grounds they come to state this as there prefared player but its terrible!

ive just got hold of VLC and i agree with you its not the best looking one but its a decent one and does the jobs well.

Thanks again

Like this post
WyckedNite

Likes # 0

Hey there. I was looking for a DL to be able to play .flac files & found the "finalmediaplayer" was endorsed by Microsoft as a solution (since my windows media player doesn't play .flac files). However, when I went to the website (finalmediaplayer.com) after clicking the "learn more" link(really small letters that most people ignore), the last sentence on that page was "Advertisers & Publishers - Learn more about generating revenue and traffic from your Windows application using InstallIQ™." Above that disturbing sentence is the info stating that finalmediaplayer is going to put "cookies" on your computer so that they can keep track of you/your computer & the DL's you do. Also disturbing was that they would give you a "unique id." Even for a non-techie such as myself, that was a red flag. So I went looking for reviews of this product & this was the first I found.
To the person who said they DL'd this program & now get pop ups all over the place--you can bet that just uninstalling this program isn't going to be enough. There are bound to be some hidden codes/files placed on your hard drive that will continue to allow certain components of this program to continue to work even if you do the run-of-the-mill uninstall! And I doubt Microsoft knows (or cares) that this company is using the DL as a way to generate revenue through selling pop up adverts. MS got their money, so they'll promote finalmedia until the contract to do so runs out & someone else comes along to pay for endorsement.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers