We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New PC spec

Flak999
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, I'm in the market for a new system and have got this quote from Cougar extreme. Would you run your eyes over it and tell me what you think, have I missed anything, should I change the spec for something better?

I am saving a few pounds by keeping my Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse and my relatively new Samsung 22inch monitor, also going to reuse my creative 7.1 speaker system.

nvidia i7 socket 1155 gts gtx ( INTEL CORE I7 2600k -3.40GHz - 8MB, XIGMATEK SCORPION HDT- S1283 COOLER, 16GB DDR3 Corsair Ram 1600 single module x4, 60Gb SSD sata 2.5,(will load Win7 pro on this) 1000Gb SATA Hard Drive,(for data) ASUS P8P67 PRO REV3, P67 B3 Motherboard, 1536Mb GTX580 PCI Express Nvidia DDR DVI DX11 graphics card, Coolermaster Sileo 500 Black Silent Case, CORSAIR CM PSU- 850TXUK, LG Blu ray writer and readers HD DVD black, Integrated Sound Card, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, 3.5 Internal Card Reader, Free Courier Insurance, Standard Warranty, Standard England & Wales Shipping, Payment by Credit Card

All for the princely sum of £1622.34

What do you all think?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Looks good to me, wish I could afford that kind of money. Just one comment is that according to the Asus Spec it supports 5.1 sound and you mention 7.1 speakers. Perhaps add a PCI Sound Card then?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

chub_tor Yes, I did wonder about a separate sound card, but on-board sound has come on leaps and bounds since I bought my last machine.

My thought was to use my existing 7.1 speakers and make do with 5.1 sound (I will just not use two of my existing speakers)there is the facility on my speaker controls to switch between 5.1 and 7.1

I know it is a lot of money, but I use my system every day and my old Evesham has lasted me almost seven years, if this one lasts as long it will only have cost me just under £20 a month.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

dont worry hes being funded by 999

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

finerty

dont worry hes being funded by 999

LOL, I used to be! Just living on my pension now! :-)

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

This thread also resolved see: click here

Like this post  
Portal11

Likes # 0

flak999 thats a very nice piece of kit! are you a gamer.?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Portal11

I am yes, I'm not a hardcore gamer like some on here. But I do like to play World of Tanks, and I want to get into Microsoft Flight Simulator which is quite demanding on system hardware.

Hopefully with a system of this spec I will be future proof for a good while ahead.

Like this post
Portal11

Likes # 0

flak i'm into L4D2 and Cod games! i play with my mates we have a hell of a blast as well as using a Voiceserver (Teamspeak) at the same time so we can talk whilst in game, my son who is 8 has just got into world of tanks he loves it! he's asked me to pay for upgrades on the game is it worth paying for the upgrade.?

cheers

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

W.O.T can be played for free as I am sure you know, the difference in purchasing a premium account is that you gain experience faster and you get paid more with in game credits at the end of a round.

This allows you to advance up the tech tree faster than by playing for free. Once you get to about level 4/5 you really need to have a premium account to advance further, as the higher tier tanks cost a lot of in game credits to repair and refit.

It can still be done for free, but you have to be a very good player and have a lot of patience to advance this way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...