We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No one into tablets here?

rickf
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I am a bit surprised not to have seen any postings on tablets. I recently bought an Archos 101 to have the experience. It's been great and I have just upgraded to an Acer Iconia A500 32gig arriving on Thurs 12th. I was thinking of the Asus TF101 but was offered an Acer Iconia A500 at a very good price. There is not much difference between the two but both are Ipad killers.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"both are Ipad killers"

I'm afraid not. For the moment iPads dominate the tablet market, and rightly so - nothing comes close in terms of design and useability. The Motorola Xoom is a promising rival, but right now it has nowhere near the style and panache of the iPad 2.

I was one of those who said 'iPad? Not likely!' a year ago, but now I freely admit I'm a convert. I had to do some research on tablets for a client, and the iPad came out a clear winner. I acquired one a few days ago, and already I'm completely hooked. It comes very close to being the perfect mobile computing device as far as I'm concerned. I have a T-Mobile SIM onboard, so I can access the web anywhere there's a T-Mobile or Orange signal, or a wireless connection.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes I take em Morning Noon and night

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

Ever at the cutting edge of technology, eh?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yep

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I agree with the FE. I bought my ipad just before Christmas having thought long and hard before doing so.

I've had a look and play with a couple of Android tablets recently and wouldn't dream of changing to one of them.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Is there a more over used word in technology than "killer".

There were so many "iPod killers" that they could have formed an army. Unfortunately it would have been an army resoundly beaten.

What we need are tablets that offer a real alternative to the iPad, that will in turn push Apple to make more innovative improvements.Unfortuantely to date there have not been any and the iPad rules the roost.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bremner

I think you've summed it up pretty well. There are undoubtedly a couple of strong challengers out there, and more to come this year, but the iPad is still in a class of its own.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Rickf

Can you tell me how you managed to get a resolved tick, as I cannot find out how. Thanks

Terry

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

Terry, you should have a series of greyed out ticks next to each post. If you click on the one which most answers/solves the thread it will turn green.

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

Should have added that the greyed out ticks are only visible to the original poster.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...