We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Creating restore discs.

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

How has it come to need 18.8 GB of DVD discs space to create a 'return to factory reset' using four DVDs? Just bought a HP G56-113SA and gone through the recovery manager and used four discs. What a lot of bullshit. Four years ago a restore disc, with an awful lot more of advertising drivel, took one DVD disc. That's with Vista. A lot less to uninstall, this time, but burning reset discs is taking the preverbial piss out of the consumer I think. Win 7, home premium, 64 bit. PS. again; the 16 GB recovery partition was the first thing to go.

Shame on you HP.

Like this post
Roadgiant

Likes # 0

Certainly seems like a lot, I bought a MSI CX623 which has Win 7, home premium, 64 bit 5 weeks ago and it used one and a half discs for the reset discs.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Precisely. The same disc space I used on a Compaq laptop some four years ago. Wonder why HP have decided to use so much space? It's ridiculous.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Does seem odd when the entire Windows 7 is on (what looks like) a third of a DVD, whereas back up discs for an HP Compac PC has just used 3.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Had a look at the burnt discs and they all seem to be used up. Disc 4 slightly less. This is judging by eye of course. Set up a HP desktop not long ago, for a friend, and that only used two DVD discs.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

I assume the discs are for all the extras paricular to to the make /model - drivers and all the unwanted rubbish etc, as well as Windows.

I recently bought 3 Acer machines - two laptops and an all in one desktop. It took ages to create the restore discs for all of them - four for each, and because I'm paranoid I made three sets for each machine. Twelve discs in all. Whatever happened to the old fashioned supplied recovery discs. Surely it's not that much trouble to supply them. Even worth paying a bit more.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...