We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Antivirus House.com Service (?)

250diesel

Likes # 0

There is a link on this site to Antivirus House for buying (obviously) security software. Beware of this company! On 22nd I ordered Norton Internet Security from them. My order was acknowledged and card debited immediately. Since then and despite 8 emails, giving all details of my order and their acknowledgement, I have heard nothing.

Absolutely atrocious!

250 diesel

Like this post
250diesel

Likes # 0

Hi Forum Editor

This is how I got to the link: PC Advisor > downloads > security > latest > Norton Internet Security 2012 beta > bottom of page > second item "Norton Internet Security 2011 special offer £29.99 Limited Offer Get it now". Link to Norton.Antivirus house.com.

Interestingly this "Special offer price of £29.99" for the last week (I ordered mine 11 days ago) has been bettered at most non online software outlets.
I gave up waiting for antivirus house to even acknowledge that I exist, let alone provide a download link and purchased it direct from W H Smith for £24.50.
I've cancelled my order with antivirus house but I'm not holding my breath about getting my money refunded.

250diesel

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Hmmm. I think the place you're referring to is a Google Ad. As such it's not directly to do with us - Google populates those slots - but clearly we're not in the habit of accepting advertising in any form from an organisation that takes money and fails to provide the service sold. Let me see what our contacts at Google can find out.

Matt

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

250diesel

This isn't entirely great news for you, I'm afraid.

We've asked Google to block all antivirushouse.com ads from our site, but Google isn't giving us anything further. A whois.net domain-name lookup of antivirushouse.com only gets us as far as an organistation called... whoisguard, which charges $10 to block domain-name lookups. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable shopping from any site that doesn't give a street address and actively blocks customers from finding out who owns the domain - but I'd also expect Google to take advertising from only legitimate sources. (I'm not suggesting that antivirushouse.com isn't legitimate, incidentally, but in the context of your complaint such opacity looks suspicious.)

I've sent a message via the contact form on antivirushouse.com asking for feedback on this thread, I wouldn't hold your breath.

I sincerely hope that you haven't lost your money, and I am upset that if you do you were introduced to this vendor via an ad on PCAdvisor.co.uk. All I can say is that we rely on Google to filter the ads displayed in those slots, and expect that illegitimate vendors don't get through. As ever I'd advise all online purchasers to research a vendor before committing to a purchase.

Matt

Like this post
250diesel

Likes # 0

Good morning Matt

Thanks for all the trouble you have taken over this, I really do appreciate it.

I, like you, would have thought that Google would have some how 'vetted' their advertisers but apparently maybe they don't.

After all this time without hearing anything from antivirus house.com I have now reconciled myself to the fact that I have most likely lost my money but what is more of concern is that they now have my debit card details.

This is the first and last time I shall order from a site with no contact address, just hope it doesn't/hasn't cost me more than the £29.99 to learn my lesson.

Again thanks for your help.

Regards

250diesel

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

250diesel

Have you taken the necessary steps in notifying your debit card provider?.

Like this post
dissapointed

Likes # 0

Hi I to noticed that payement was taken immediately

I'm not holding my breath.

of course I should have noticed that antivirushouse.com did not give an address.

We should all learn from this.

Like this post
dissapointed

Likes # 0

Hi again I feel that I must update you with this issue

The link to the antivirus siftware with reg code arrived in my inbox this morning all appears to be downloaded, installed and working fine at present.

Of course I think we all agree that all online providers should Give clear verifiable location address. Advise of any expected delay betweeen payment and delivery. Respond promptly to email enquiries when difficulties are experienced.

I recommend using pre-paid 3V limited credit card or similar at all times.

Regards not quite so dissapointed

Like this post
250diesel

Likes # 0

Hi dissapointed (no so dissapointed)

Very glad for you to see your good news.

I'm still waiting but certainly not holding my breath.

Thanks for tip about using pre-paid limited credit card.

I looked at antivirus house web site this morning and they do say that they are a UK company so they should be complying with the law re giving a clear location address.

If they are a UK company I am consoling myself with the thought that the complete lack of anything at all might be down to the extended holiday (some) people have had.

250diesel

Like this post
dissapointed

Likes # 0

Hopefully you will be posting good news here shortly.

It is important to inform all of us if and how a problem is resolved.

Sharing information is our only real protection.

Regards Not so dissapointed after all.

Like this post
250diesel

Likes # 0

Just an update.

After 15 days and 3 more emails I have still heard nothing from antivirus house.com.

More in anger than in hope I have now sent 1 further email cancelling my order and requesting (demanding) that any payment taken be credited back to my card.

As dissapointed got his download details eventually I must assume that this is a reputable company but there is no assumption about their customer service - it stinks.

The lesson I have learnt from this is to 'play safe' and never use my 'main' debit card for online purchases.

To play really safe I have cancelled my current card, stopped anything trying to through on it as from yesterday and requested a new one.
For future online purchases I have now set up a seperate account - into which I shall put only the amount neccessary for the purchase, 'topping up' each time for each purchase - with it's own debit card.

On a humorous note - If you don't live near to a branch of your bank (or it doesn't open on Saturday) before you cancel a debit card on Friday make sure you've got enough cash in your pocket to see you through until the new one arrives. Another lesson I've learnt.

250diesel

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad