We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My broadband Download Speeds?

Cara2

Likes # 0

I suspect my broadband speed is not exactly speedy so have done two tests with the following results:

1. Upload .3mb and Download 6.34

2. Upload .4mb and 'Ping/Latency' (?) 90mb.

Does this make sense and is this as slow as I feel it is?

Am with Orange and have a very old style Router. Would this affect the speed?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are so many things that can affect download speed. How far are you from your exchange, the quality of your line, the router, your isp, etc. Many of your questions are covered in this thread broadband speed

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

link text

If you get the Orange router stats and enter them into the boxes that should give a rough idea of the sort of speeds you should get.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Sorry wrong link link text

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

6.34 for many people in rural areas can only be dreamed of! As Woolwell says, depends on many factors. O.3 upload is fairly standard.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Check your exchange here and see if any ISPs have their own kit in the exchange (known as LLU). they will be able to offer the best speeds.

For reference I live in a pretty rural area, BT could offer me a shade under 2mb/s download, so I went with Talk Talk, when I checked at the weekend I was enjoying 10.43mb/s download and .88mb/s upload

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

By way of interest I saw the broadband speed test and then saw the offer of a 'free scan'. If you click on this you get Uniblue Registery checker - or something like this - which you can install on your machine. When you run this the programme will go through your machine and tell you that you have all sorts of problems which it can fix!! Just one teensy, weensy problem - you have to pay to get this!! so much for a 'free' scan!! Please beware of this.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

IMO the Uniblue Registry checker isn't very good (like most registry cleaners). See the helproom for associated problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)