We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AV manual scans?

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

Now we have quite powerful antispam and antispyware programs, free or not, how often do you run a manual scan with your AV? Must say I've been lax in this department to say the least. My AV found a INI.(troj.) in one of my favorite links and moved it to chest. That's the link to the uninstalling of CID. Would be interesting to know if you've forgotten manual scanning with your AV when you have the likes of SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes.

Like this post
dororof

Likes # 0

Every week with Norton Every 2 days with MBAM and SAS,if feeling paranoid,every day.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

dororof

Blimey, makes my attitude to security online seem absolutely relaxed.. :)

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

Mine's done automatically by Norton 360, once a week. Runs in the background with no noticeable dip in performance.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

My question was, when do you run a manual scan of your AV. Bought or free? Possibly if you select a manual scan it will give you a wider choice of what to scan rather than the routine one. Routine scans are just routine. Both answers, so far, depend on the routine scans supplied by a paid for Security software program. Is that good enough? If you pay for an AV program, even if in a suit, then why do you not run manual scans?

Like this post

Likes # 0

To answer the question, I run a full scan about once a month. But I am aware that certain files will not be scanned particularly if they are open and in use and IMHO the utility of such a scan may be limited as a result. The value of the (paid for) security I use is more in it's ability to be (1) up to date, and (2) to catch stuff as it arrives rather than once it's resident

I do run Malwarebytes (free) as a full scan, probably once a fortnight and Spywareblaster is resident

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The meaning of words is what we're talking about.

Routine = Every Wednesday at Midday or whenever

Manual = On Demand = Whenever you want = Whenever you feel the need to scan a particular file.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I always run my scans manually normally daily. Emisoft anti malware I will run the short scans daily and the full scan about once a week. AVG I will usually run every 2nd day as it only takes about 10 minutes for a full scan.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Kaspersky, which I got free with online banking, scans in the background using quiet periods and doesn't hit performance. As a result I don't run a manual av scan. I do run Malwarebytes from time to time but so far it has never turned up anything.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

When I have had a whoopsie and clicked on something I shouldnt have.

I run a full scan with my normal AV and with Malwarebytes, both run automatically over night once a week. Never found anything other than the usual tracking cookies.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

My Bank also offers Kapersky for free but I've been using the free version of Avast for so many years that I won't change. Now and again I run the scheduled scan. Avast scans just before Windows loads fully. Trouble is remembering to do it. I manually scan with Malwarebytes maybe once a fortnight as I run SAS pro version. Also, as wiz-king, if the AV complains about something I will run a manual scan.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous