We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recent service from Cougar-Extreme

daveeb

Likes # 0

I dutifully installed my MS updates on Sunday only to get a blue screen "Fatal error" upon reboot. After failing to get in through safe mode etc i did a repair using the supplied disc for the first time (got it in Nov 2008).

All went well until i was asked for the 25 digit code to activate (which i didnt expect). However i looked in my box file (i have one for every pc i've ever owned and everything pertaining to that pc no matter how trivial goes in there). No key. Nothing anywhere on the pc either. When i asked to "remind me later" i was logged out as i had 0 days to activate. I couldn't even get into safe mode to use software to find the key.

After being given the runaround by microsofts woeful phone lines i ascertained that they offer no support for OEM software, it's between you and the vendor.

I rang Cougar (Paul) on Monday hoping they keep records of keys for customers who have purchased operaing systems...no they don't. I explained i had not received either the green windows booklet or the key (feeling slightly foolish i had not realised this much earlier). Paul stated they have a 3 stage checking procedure to ensure things go out correctly. At this impasse i was offered the chance to buy another copy. Being somewhat in a cul de sac i agreed.

I was rung back an hour later by a gentleman from sales. He offered me a small discount (possibly instigated by my mention of being a member of PCA). To be fair he was polite and helpful (as was Paul) and he gave me the key over the phone after i had paid and stayed on the phone while i checked if it worked. This worked and i got my pc back.

The package actually arrived the next day only 24 hours after ordering which is excellent.

All in all i still think they're a very helpful decent company and would reccommend them. I would however suggest they keep a note of OS keys for such eventualities, as they had my address, post code and phone number on record so surely it can't be a massive administrative burden to record the key as well. And a black mark to whoever finally signed off my original order...there's an orphaned xp key kicking around at cougar somewhere.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I usually take a screenshot of my system as displayed via control panel. That usually solves and problems. It's even easier to do with Win7

Like this post
daveeb

Likes # 0

Unfortunately it doesn't tell you the activation key. There is software that does, but unfortunately for me, discovering it was closing the gate after the horse had bolted.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

I thought vendors were required to stick the activation key label on the PC? I've recently bought an OEM version of Windows 7 and there was a note instructing builders to do that in the packaging.

Like this post
daveeb

Likes # 0

@ IAS

They claimed they had stuck it on the side of the pc, however I'm positive there was nothing on the pc when i received it. Unfortunately i filed everything away at the time and didn't even think about keys until a few days ago.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...