We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what the hell are logmein playing at

robert01

Likes # 0

Today my mum who is resonably experienced with computers got a call out of the blue from a company called LogMeIn. They said there was something wrong with her computer and they needed to take her through some steps. She told them firmly no.

They phoned back THREE times insisting they were working on behalf of Microsoft and that they had been notified that her computer was badly corrupted and that they were tasked by Microsoft to take her through steps to fix it. She relented and they had her on the phone for an HOUR AND A HALF saying things like 'Go into this file, what icon is there ? Oh really, that is not good at all, ok now type this under run, is there a file called xxx ? There is, ok we have to take steps to get rid of that urgently' and so on...

Eventually they asked her to type in something that 'surprise, surprise' took her to their website with loads of packages to pay for and download. At this point she realised that was their game all along and hung up.

Disgraceful behaviour, what an underhand sales technique confusing and worrying someone that there is something terribly wrong with their computer. They may have some satisfied customers who read this site but you must agree this is not what one should expect from a reputable company. Emails to Watchdog etc are on their way, anyone else experienced this ?

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

A fairly common scam

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

No company is 'tasked' by Microsoft to call people about corrupted computers, and no company could possibly get hold of your phone number in that way.

These people are operating a scam, pure and simple, and anyone who is called by them should simply replace the receiver without even bothering to speak to them.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I only hope that your mum hasn't provided any credit or debit card details, like some people have?.

If your mum as the companies full details, then drop Microsoft an email, for their records.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I doubt that they were from LogMein, it is a well known company that sells remote access software and would not cold call. If you have a phone number then they may like to know it as it sounds like a scammer is using their name.

Like this post
Ford Prefect 01

Likes # 0

This does sound like a scam. I use LogMeIn for remote access to my father's computer. Neither of us have ever received an unsolicited call like you describe.

Like this post
robert01

Likes # 0

Yes it is a scam - I found several articles online about it.

Seems they set themselves up abroad so they are difficult to shut down and then pretend to be from a legitimate company such as LogMeIn. There are two sides to it, they somehow get you to load in keylogging software so they can control and corrupt your PC and perhaps steal passwords. They also get you to download software packages for an very high fee and get your credit card details.

Luckily they got nothing this time, but it was an important lesson.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...