We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Portable 12v power pack

Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

Having a little trouble finding what I need.

I don’t need to jump start the car, inflate the tyres, use it as a torch or even as a radio … I just need a safe portable 12v power pack with say a 20Ah battery to power our cool-box when the car is parked up on days out.

You must be able to recharge it from a 12 volt supply or via a mains adapter.

Say £50 ish

Any ideas ?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What's wrong with buying an extra 'Car' battery.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Quite a number of places sell these items with all the whistles and bells at various prices, but from my own personel experiences I have found that the non-commercial types can be unreliable, especially if they are not kept at peak condition.

Most 'cool-boxes' can be plugged into the vehicle socket during the journey, and with ice packs, they should retain some degree of coolness at the journey end.

Using a standard 'sealed' battery might be a good substitute, as wee eddie as already suggested. If you have an home battery charger, then plug it in on the return home. This method could also act as a replacement for your own vehicle, if needed at a later date.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Bit more expensive than £50 (They also do a 125Ah version) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automotive-RPP110-Complete-Compressor/dp/B001NIBW5K

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Soz link mix up LOL

Ring 20AH

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

These are Gell battery's so will not leak if tipped over copy paste the link into browser address bar as its not loading the link icon in PCA

click here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It is usual in caravanning to use a leisure battery for this type of use. Slightly different to a car battery and asfer.

Probably the best place to look for the type of charger/battery that you want is a caravan/camping store.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

I've sorted out the link for you.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

FE thanks very much I was having lots of problems with the Page not fully loading and icons not showing, even with Java Script turned off.

The Link I gave is for Deep Charge Battery's Like caravan battery, they use them on Disabled Scooters, So that they last longer on a Charge. Car Battery's only give out Big amps on Start as that's what car battery's are made for

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

Gel/AGM batteies, as used on mobility scooters are OK BUT you can not use automotive or wet type chargers so I would also need to buy a new charger.

I have looked on the 'net and found plans for a DIY plywood carry case for a leisure battery so may try that option.

Thanks for your ideas :-)

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Car batteries are not suitable for this sort of thing, they are not designed to be used in this sort of way.

You need a leisure battery, these are designed so that they can be run over a long time until they have only a 30% charge left in them with out damage being done to them before they need a recharge.

Car batteries on the other hand are designed to be used with a min 80% charge in them, a car battery will not really be able to manage the deep cycle that a leisure battery will cope with.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Widespread 2011 MacBook Pro failures continue: Petition for fix surpasses 10,000 signatures