We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Digital Changeover

wids001

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me please if radio is going to be soley digital or will the FM/MW bands remain. I was wondering what is going to happen with car radios?

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

FM and AM will be switched off around 2015 (unless the Government changes its mind again) so you'll have to replace your FM/AM car radio with a digital model.

VW tell me to fit a digital radio in my 8-year old Golf will cost around £500!

Like this post

Likes # 0

The government has now basically agreed that there is little possibility of more than 50% of radio listening taking place by DAB in 2015 and has said again that FM radio will continue, at least until that target is reached

It's been kicked in to the long grass

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"VW tell me to fit a digital radio in my 8-year old Golf will cost around £500!"

Why?

DAB car radios are widely available, as are the adaptors, both fascia and electric/electronic, to enable fitment.

I have had one in my last two cars, with an adaptor to allow use of the steering wheel remote functions.

They were both Citroens which have a very sensitive wiring harness.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"VW tell me to fit a digital radio in my 8-year old Golf will cost around £500!"

Why?"

What do you mean - why?

Ask VW not me.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I couldn't get my car radio out if I wanted to. It's a Honda and built in. I couldn't go out and buy a DAB car radio and fit it. This is nothing to do with wiring but the way that the radio is an integral part of the fascia.

I could get a DAB external tuner that would link by USB or line in to the radio or transmit by FM to the radio.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

While you may not be able to get your car radio out, I'm sure a decent Honda mechanic could, otherwise the car is a write off if the radio fails!

You then buy a fascia adaptor with a standard DIN radio slot.

I'm not saying it's easy, or cheap, but it shouldn't cost anything like £500.

Car manufacturers will do and say all sorts of things to make you stick with them for after market accessories.

When I bought my Citroen I asked about an adaptor for my own radio.

They told me this would invalidate the warranty, for the whole car!

Quite how a new radio would place the gearbox at risl was not explained.

A formal complaint to the Office of Fair Trading about an unreasonable contact condition brought a change of heart and an apology!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I think morddwyd as raised a good point in respect of what the 'experts' state and what you can actually do. All to often nowadays, things appear to be to complicated to the average person, because of 'modern technology' and costs involved. It was the same starting a few years ago, and especially so as motor vehicles improved in design,component wise. Even the simplest of items had or have to be replaced because the parts were or are not no longer 'serviceable'. (Welcome to the green world)

Many mechanics or technicians as they are called nowadays, know or should know the 'tricks of the trade', and a quiet word can sometimes provide wonders. Perhaps something that a sales person or reception staff may not provide!.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

morddwyd

You haven't seen my new Jazz. I very much doubt that a fascia adaptor would work.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Clapton is God - Have you spoken to any of the big chains not tied to VW - Halfords, Kwik-fit etc?

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

What about the environment. I have 6 FM radios in my home plus the car radio. They will no doubt end up in landfill if FM radio is scrapped. FM radios work with excellent quality of reproduction. I have heard that there will be areas of the country that will not be covered by the DAB broadcasts and also digital equipment fails to work if the signal strength drops. FM radios will work albeit with a bit of white noise when the signal strength drops.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more