We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sony Laptop VGNSR55X Blue ray player

jakbiker

Likes # 0

Bought this laptop from sony style on line and it was delivered 09/12/2009. Its fine its quick light and does all I want.
However the blue ray player will not play the latest blue ray discs noteably "Avatar" The help line eventually directs you to a link to Corel asking u to upgrade for £60. I think this is a bit rich of Sony to provide a blueray player which is out of date in a few months.
Eventually they came back with this response..
"I understand that you want us to provide you with the upgrade for WinDVD pro 2010.

Kindly be advised that we are not the manufacturer for WinDVD.

We have certain agreement with Corel.

The WinDVD pro 2010 is only for sale by Corel.

I wish I could be of more assistance but my hands are tight.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience."

An I being unreasonable to expect a blueray player to become out of date so soon, it does play older bluray discs ok. Or do I have a claim of "not fit for purpose" in the small claims court?

The help line if you need to phone ends up in Germany and was no help whatsoever...I got a real run around.

If I catch the author of the response his hands wont be "tight" they will be "tied" until they sort it.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

You have no case in the Small Claims Court. It's not the Hardware at fault. It's the software that will not play the disk.

As with many Blu-ray disks the manufacturer's keep changing them slightly to fraught piracy and add additional features. As Avatar on Blu-ray is made by 20th Century Fox, Sony would have no idea that they would be changing the disk.

Many people have experienced this problem even on under the TV Blu-ray Players, In this case you have to wait for a Firmware update from the Manufacturer of the Player.

Like this post
jakbiker

Likes # 0

Thanks Beta for your response, there must be a lot of angry consumers out there. The sellers should place a warning on each bluray player stating that the equipment will shortly be out of date and to wait paitently for an upgrade..

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

I know it's a bummer.. I have a Samsung BD6900 3D Blu-ray player which was purchased back in March 2010.

Since then it has had 9 Firmware updates, 8 of which are to address disk playback capability.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...