We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

mobile phone internet

Smokeyone

Likes # 0

I thinking of getting an HTC all singing and dancing pda phone. If anyone has an internet enabled phone can you actually see what you are doing on such a small screen - for instance - could you actually book a flight -
The HTC screen size is 2.8 inches

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I managed to buy a cd on play.com using opera mini on my fairly low end sony ericsson k800i on its own (it worked once), so anythings possible! Opera mini is far better than the browser that is built in to the phone, so i installed that, but its not purposely built for being able to handle what would be required for purchases online. Im sure anything more up to date with a bigger screen would be ideal, and would more than likely offer better features, such as being able to handle purchases and have a touch screen for ease of use.

Ps i can get around the problem of purchases by simply connecting my phone to my pc as a modem, and using my pc to buy. It wont work with all websites, as when using my phone as a modem, some sites will not let me log in constantly, or i will lose what may be in any virtual shopping basket. Its a cookie problem when using a phone as a modem for my pc, its rare and most sites do work, albeit rather slowly, but its there.

Like this post
Smokeyone

Likes # 0

Thanks for the tip. Do you recall which mapping system you purchased for your Kaiser - how did you get on without connecting to a network each time..........

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

The HTC TyTn II (AKA Kaiser) is an excellent Phone/PDA.. Had one and sold it to my brother..

Now have a HTC Touch Pro (AKA Rapheal). Another good phone, but did have some teething trouble with the inbuilt GPS chip. Sorted by flashing a new Radio Rom.

Like this post
Smokeyone

Likes # 0

A cracking report - I tracked down the HTC on the basis of a decent screen size, full keyboard, and not tied in to a GPS system that only works with mobile masts which means you get a bill everytime you use the GPS.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Never used an HTC phone, but here's a review from The Register, 88% which is a good score...

click here

Like this post
Smokeyone

Likes # 0

Thanks all for the advice. I was not planning on making a habit of booking flights from the phone but it's the sort of thing that could well crop up.
I am actually thinking of getting this HTC so if anyone has any comments -
click here

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

Speaking personally the answer to the basic question is No!

Might use it in an emergency, but not for normal choice.

However, I am retired and therefore much of my time is spent within range of my router, with a laptop to hand!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

click here

and the screen is fine for browsing - as long as you're not planning a long session. I haven't used it to book a flight yet, but I reckon I could do it without too much hassle - my phone has a very good zoom tool.

Like this post
Pauldunstan

Likes # 0

I've found opera mini quite easy to use on a 176x220 screen as long as there is no java content on the page.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you have to pay for Opera for Mobiles whilst Opera Mini is free.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...