We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

mobile phone internet

Smokeyone

Likes # 0

I thinking of getting an HTC all singing and dancing pda phone. If anyone has an internet enabled phone can you actually see what you are doing on such a small screen - for instance - could you actually book a flight -
The HTC screen size is 2.8 inches

Like this post
AlouetteIII

Likes # 0

I can barely see it on my 19in monitor, but that could be an age thing!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I couldn't possibly comment on the visibilty, but I've been looking at mobile internet deals and some of the supposedly "unlimited mobile internet" offers have caps as low as 50mb a month, so check the usage limits on any contract before you sign anything...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have an HTC with a slightly smaller screen than the one you are considering. It is ok for sites that are set up for mobiles ie have a version for PDA. I find it is hopeless for other sites as you have to scroll around too much and cannot see enough. It depends on which site you want to book a flight and how it has been set up.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Depends upon which browser you use. If you download and run Opera for Mobiles it loads the full page and you can enlarge small areas by tapping on the touch screen on my HTC. This makes all the page very readable but is slightly slower than browsing on a full size screen.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you have to pay for Opera for Mobiles whilst Opera Mini is free.

Like this post
Pauldunstan

Likes # 0

I've found opera mini quite easy to use on a 176x220 screen as long as there is no java content on the page.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

click here

and the screen is fine for browsing - as long as you're not planning a long session. I haven't used it to book a flight yet, but I reckon I could do it without too much hassle - my phone has a very good zoom tool.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

Speaking personally the answer to the basic question is No!

Might use it in an emergency, but not for normal choice.

However, I am retired and therefore much of my time is spent within range of my router, with a laptop to hand!

Like this post
Smokeyone

Likes # 0

Thanks all for the advice. I was not planning on making a habit of booking flights from the phone but it's the sort of thing that could well crop up.
I am actually thinking of getting this HTC so if anyone has any comments -
click here

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Never used an HTC phone, but here's a review from The Register, 88% which is a good score...

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features