We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Economy Tip for gas users with combi boilers

tigertop2

Likes # 0

When getting my gas combi boiler serviced yesterday I learned an interesting tip re saving gas usage. If your combination boiler has a preheater , in effect a programme which switches the boiler's burner on for its small hot water tank intermittently over the day and night, you can get possibly get this facility turned off.
It won't make the slightest difference to the way you use the hot water supply on demand but it does save you money-and probably wear and tear on the boiler system. My combi is a Vokera model but possible others will have the same functions. Mine works perfectly well with the fix.

I am NOT a plumber or central heating expert so consult your local qualified expert. However it is a simple motherboard fix. We need to save every penny we can on utilities these days so I hope this helps someone . Apologies if I am the only guy who did not know about this!

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Must admit to not knowing much about this, but how much water and energy is wasted by this method?

Using a boiler without this preheat tank a great deal of water is wasted whilst the boiler fires up and also until the water temperature is sufficiently warm enough.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

have an intelligent preheat mode. This monitors your hot water usage pattern over the previous 24 hours and preheats a short while before the first anticipated use.

This form of preheating is economical and convenient.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

FE , that is an interesting concept. It would need to have an ET like brain to work out this house's routine!

hssutton, I don't know how much I will save but anecdotal evidence from the guy who serviced my system indicates it might be 5 to 10 %. That is worth having. Just think, if you are out all day and the combi is still preheating it is energy wasted. It also preheats through the night as well just to keep a small tank of water hot.

When I get my next 6 monthly bill I will let you know if there is an appreciable difference

Like this post
martd77

Likes # 0

Last winter british gas told my mate if he wanted lower bills to put his combi boiler on the "constant" setting and not on timer setting well when he got his winter bill it was double the previous year!

Like this post
Stuartli

Likes # 0

We use gas fires and a radiator in the hall (it only has a tiny flame, yet heats up the hallway, stairs, landing and three bedrooms!), but the greatest cost saving measure we adopted proved to be a multi-valve water heater.

Apart from heating the water on demand just by turning a tap, it is also more than powerful enough to serve the bathroom shower unit without any form of booster.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

My boiler does not have a pre-heater, and often, as I seem to wait an eternity for the hot water to arrive at the tap I have this nagging doubt about the possible hidden expense.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Combi boilers - whether they have a preheat facility or not - are infinitely preferable to a boiler that heats water in a storage cylinder. That method involves the boiler repeatedly firing to hold the stored water at a preset temperature, and you are effectively heating the same water over and over again.

A combi heats on demand, and it only heats the water once - it's a far more efficient method, even if you do have to wait for the dead leg of cold water in the system to be purged.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

You're not alone. I remember getin a leaflet from British Gas giving us the same 'cost effective' solution. We were on token meeter at the time, and when the money in the meter ran out, that was our hot water and heating, oh, and cooking, finished. We spoke to Energywatch (at least that's who I think they were called, and they told us this was the wordt advice we could ever be given. As no matterhow low you have the temperature, the boiler still has to fire up to maintain the temperature....we left Briish Gas prety soon after....

Like this post
skeletal

Likes # 0

“That method involves the boiler repeatedly firing to hold the stored water at a preset temperature”. Absolutely, this is why it is important to have a really well insulated hot water tank; the better the insulation, the less heat input you need to maintain the temperature.

On the other hand, if your tank is in the middle of the house, the waste heat will go towards warming the entire house, so it’s not necessarily all lost. The same is true of incandescent light bulbs and the “energy efficient” bulbs; you will save a bit on electricity, but slightly increase gas usage as you’ve lost the bulb’s heat input.

Note: I’m not saying that these measures are not worth doing (particularly in summer when you don’t want the extra heat at all), just that life is a bit more complicated than you think!

Good to see you drop by pavvi...are your vocal cords standing up to the strain of your new life???!!

Skeletal

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad