We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best laptop for £300

kinglouis

Likes # 0

Hi

I know someone has asked a similar question further down regarding laptops for £350 but if possible I'd like recommendations from the batch available for £300. I want to get a laptop for my son just to complete his school work on and view photos, and internet use.
eBuyer, Dabs, etc have Toshibas, HP, Fujitsu, all around this price but which one should I choose??

Cheers

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

In my opinion I think all of them are a waste of money. I have seen 2 really cheap laptops both with slower Celeron processors and little RAM running Vista Basic. Both were far too slow for me and if I'd had either I would be either reselling it or it would be left in a cupboard.
If you want a laptop spend a little bit more and get one with a dual core processor and 2 gig of RAM. If you can find one that meets that criteria for £299 then great otherwise forget it.

Others may disagree but in my opinion there reaches a point when something is just too cheap and going under £300 for a laptop is too cheap as its too slow and has too little memory. Under Vista I am talking about. If its XP then it might be not too bad but there hardly any XP laptops still for sale and even if it had XP I still would want to see how fast it worked before purchase. £300 is not a lot for a laptop and for an extra £50 or £100 you can get something thats miles better.

Like this post
Kemistri

Likes # 0

I would not dream of buying a notebook for that kind of money. It is not just about performance, but build quality as well.

Like this post
Crossbow7

Likes # 0

Yep, go for the Dell 17" dual-core with 2Gb I posted in the other thread for £350 with cashback - explained how to get it for that price at click here.

If a 17" one may be too big/heavy to lug around for the young man, then go for a 15.4" one (I've a sneaking feeling he'll stick to the former!). G

P.S. If £300 is your absolute limit, may I suggest this HP 530 click here for £276 delivered (use voucher HPOPTF at checkout), & add 1Gb of RAM for £12.99 click here - this will take it to 1.5Gb or 2Gb depending on the RAM slots free originally. The Dell is still a no-contest for the money.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

They bare perfectly ok fo what you will need it for.

Like this post
kinglouis

Likes # 0

thanks for the feedback folks.. Is the celeron processor really that underpowered for vista or would a RAM upgrade get around this problem?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Vista will run like a dog with a Celeron processor, even if it's Vista Basic, there's so much running in the background that the laptop would just become unusable once a few bits of software are loaded.

If £300 is your limit, take a look at some of the refurbished laptops at Morgan computers, I've bought a couple off them and they're both still running fine.

Sometimes the batteries are a bit shot, but otherwise they're OK, and they usually come with XP installed as well.

click here

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Vista will run like a dog with a Celeron processor, even if it's Vista Basic, there's so much running in the background that the laptop would just become unusable once a few bits of software are loaded.

If £300 is your limit, take a look at some of the refurbished laptops at Morgan computers, I've bought a couple off them and they're both still running fine.

Sometimes the batteries are a bit shot, but otherwise they're OK, and they usually come with XP installed as well.

click here

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Sorry about the double post - got a server time out

Like this post
tammer

Likes # 0

You could always go for this:
click here

For under £400 it's a good deal.

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

The one I saw was a Celeron processor with 512mb RAM running Vista Basic, a friend of mine bought it. Initially it took almost 4 minutes to startup and get all the taskbar programs loaded. I don't know about you but thats far too long for me. And if you had a window open and opened another it could take 30 seconds or more to open it.
Pathetic and verging on the unusable.

I added another gig of RAM and its speeded things up considerably, startup time is considerably reduced as is the time for a window to open but its still very slow and I think that its as good as hes going to get.

If you buy a really cheap laptop I think you might regret it. You might not but I like a computer than runs reasonably quick and would not wait for 30 seconds or more until a window opens. It is faster than it was but it still dreadfully slow and even now with the RAM upgrade I wouldn't have it as a gift. Its no use to me and if I owned it I wouldn't switch it on.

Why not go into the likes of PC World and try one of these cheap laptops yourself. See what you think. Then try a slightly more expensive one. Its like comparing a Ferrari to a wheelbarrow.

In my opinion of course but advice stands go and look for yourself, see how long it takes to boot up, see how long it takes to open Word as an example.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes