We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

liquid in LCD tv's

2drewej

Likes # 0

hi i posted a thread last week about a lcd tv that was leaking from the base - i had a suggestion that this may have been caused due to leaky capacitors.

I have now recieved the tv back along with a report from argos/the repair service

quoting "There is no liquid in televisions" and no faults have been found

surely this statement is false ? i am about 99% sure that the liquid came from the tv itself - nothing else. - the liquid is still there on the table from where it leaked nearly 2 weeks after this happened , if it was something like water surely it would have evaporated.

and another thing - "liquid crystal display" surely this suggests there is liquid in the tv???

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Dont think so,could be wrong though

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

As far as I am concerned it has liquid in it click here

Theres no liquid in a normal CRT TV but in LCD the image is provided by passing a current through the liquid.

Like this post
2drewej

Likes # 0

thx for your help - i have been told that the electrics of the tv - in particular the capacitors in the power supply will/may spill liquid if damaged??? and that the capacitors would most likely be located near the bottom of the tv - which is where the liquid leaked from

Like this post
ambra4

Likes # 0

LCD TV Misconceptions:
Six Common Myths About LCD Displays
Reviewer: Jack Burden
This article I wrote about the most common misconceptions about LCD displays and the misconceptions floating around about them.
Misconception #1: Liquid crystal diode (LCD) displays actually contain liquid.
This is an understandable misinterpretation of the term "liquid" as it is being used here. In this case, the term refers to a peculiar quality of a certain type of crystal, not its physical appearance.
The twisted nematic (TN) liquid crystal is the most common type of liquid crystal being used in display applications today (e.g., LCD televisions, LCD monitors, and LCD projectors). It has a naturally twisted crystalline structure. A particular feature of this crystal is that it reacts to electric currents in predictable ways—i.e., by untwisting to varying degrees depending on the voltage of the current to which it is exposed. Hence the "liquid" part of the crystal's moniker: Rather than being an oxymoron (How can a solid also be a liquid?), the term refers to the relative pliability of the crystals themselves, which is to say, their twistability.
Misconception #2: LCD TV sets last forever.
They say nothing lasts forever—and neither does LCD televisions. The average lifespan of an LCD display is 60,000 hours. If watching TV was your full-time job, and you did it 24 hours a day, it would take you almost 7 years to wear out your LCD display. With more normal viewing habits of, say, 8 hours per day, you can extend the lifespan of your TV by a decade or more (to about 20 years)!
A more immediate concern is the actual lifespan of the light source in your LCD. This is perhaps THE critical component of your display unit. It is particularly important for maintaining a proper white balance on your TV. As these florescent bulbs age, colors can become unbalanced, which could result in too much red, for example, in your picture. So, it pays to buy name-brand displays. You will definitely pay more for better LCD display brands like Sharp, Toshiba, JVC, or Sony than you will for cheap Chinese or Korean variety knock-offs, but you'll get a backlighting bulb of higher quality and, in the end, a TV whose colors will stay truer longer.
NOTE: As far as I know, Sharp flat-panel LCD TVs are the only ones on the market whose backlights can be replaced by consumers themselves.
Misconception #3: LCD TVs suffer from burn-in.
Absolutely untrue. LCD monitors work by blocking light, so it is literally impossible for burn-in to occur on the screen. LCD TVs are sometimes referred to as "transmissive" displays, meaning that light isn't created by the liquid crystals themselves. Instead, a light source (bulb) behind the panel shines light through the display, which uses liquid crystals to manipulate the intensity of that light. When light is generated from a source external to the display screen itself, images cannot be permanently—or even temporarily—retained.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Thanks for keeping it short and to the pointas usual lol

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Please keep your posts relevant to the question being asked, rather than pasting entire articles into the forum.

Like this post
PP321

Likes # 0

Ok well

Capacitors can leak but only tiny amounts, and only under stress, even a big capacitor leaking would produce 1 or 2 drops of electrolyte, and its like syrup, it would stay by the capacitor and certainly wouldnt drip out of the set.

Also you would notice a horrible fishy smell which you havent mentioned so its not capacitors.

Yes LCD's have liquid in them, but again its not a huge resovoir! , its a tiny abount sandwiched between two pieces of glass. And if any did leak , you would notice an immediate change in the picture, which you havent mentioned so it isnt that.

Its a mystery (in the words of T.Wilcox)

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

just a question 2dr,was there a vase on top of monitor?

Like this post
freaky

Likes # 0

It is very interesting reading, but in view of FE's statement a link would suffice!

Like this post
Smiler

Likes # 0

I think ambra4's post was relevant I read it all and if it had n#been a link probably wouln't have bothered to follow it.

Heres a link which uses laymens terms

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK