We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Old LP's

Les

Likes # 0

My 80 year old cousin has a LP collection, mostly quite old. What he has asked me is 'Do I know a web site where he can get the individual values of these records' - I don't but do you know of sich a web site?

Like this post
Les

Likes # 0

sich? -- such!!

Like this post
ade.h

Likes # 0

There's a book called Record Collector, if that's any help at all. It's a really thick tome that lists current values for virtually every 45 and 78 ever released in the UK. Have a look on Amazon.

Like this post
ade.h

Likes # 0

This is it click here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

dating back (mainly) to the mid 1950's, although LPs have been around for a few years by then.

The fact that there are so many still in existence (I have around 400 of them) tends to mean that values for all but the rarest recordings are not as high as some people imagine.

The early UK-pressed LPs are often much sought-after however, because UK recording engineering meant that sound quality was of a superior standard.

Like this post
Les

Likes # 0

to Ade.h and FE for your help. I have passed on this information to him. No doubt he too will be pleased by the quick replies to his plea for help.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I don't know if this little bit of information is relevant. In the city near to where I live, there is a regular every two to three month's CD and Record collector's fair. A friend of mine has a very large collection of old records, and at one of these fairs he managed to get one of the stall holder collectors to pay an home visit, so as to value and possibly purchase the collection.

The collector arrived, duly inspected all the collection, which took the best part of a full morning. Made a cash offer, which my friend accepted instantly, due to him wanting to dispose of them quickly (council tip was beckoning). The collector paid £142 for the lot, and stated that he would arrange collection at a later date.Now this was two years ago, and the collection is still in the attic awaiting collection. The dealer as been contacted on a number of occasions, promised to arrange collection, but still hasn't done so.The collector still occasionally attends the local CD and Record Collector's Fair.

Appears on this occasion, the collector is prepared to write his £142 'investment' off!.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

I recently discovered that a single given to me some years, ago has become a collectors piece worth about £100. I doubt the rest of my collection would be worth that if I sold it en masse.
Moral of this story, check before you chuck.

Like this post
Les

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies - I will pass these on to my cousin.

Like this post
€dstowe

Likes # 0

Much of the value of even the rarest record depends on its condition.

A severely scratched recored that has doubled up as a drinks mat sometime during its life will have a value of zilch compared with a record still in its originalcellophane packaging.

Like this post
GRFT

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014