We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Philips mp3 player battery replacement?

keef66

Likes # 0

Son's HDD070 mini jukebox apparently started doing odd things before Christmas (but he didn't tell us). Now it's as dead as a dodo and I suspect that the rechargeable battery has packed up. Philips want £100 to repair it since the 12 month warranty has just expired. IT ONLY COST £130 NEW!!!
Anyone know if this can be done DIY and if so, what battery is needed??

Like this post
pj123

Likes # 0

According to this site it says it has a Rechargeable Lithium Battery.

So take the battery out and see what the number is and post it back.

click here

Like this post
keef66

Likes # 0

OK, bit the bullet and took it to bits. Easier than an Ipod since it involves tiny but visible screws. The battery appears to be the same as those for the 3rd generation Ipod. Ebay allowed me to find several for £8 incl postage, one of which I have ordered. (It's actually a bit higher capacity than the original) I'll let you know if it works.
Philips' £100 charge is even more outrageous when you consider a new HDD070 now costs just £110 from Argos

Like this post
keef66

Likes # 0

battery arrived in 48 hrs. Connector not a good fit so soldered on the old one instead. Very thin wires, but do-able.
It's now charging happily, which it wouldn't before, so I'm assuming it's fixed.
Feeling very smug having saved about £100 vs the cost of a replacement or a Philips repair

Like this post
rmcqua

Likes # 0

Yes,so you should.
That was a real rip-off price that Philips quoted you for repair!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...