We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How far are you from your BT exchange?

Thalmus

Likes # 0

For security reasons BT doesn't give out the locations of their exchanges, not very helpful if your interested in these new 24 meg broadband providers and want to know how much bandwith your going to lose due to distance.

However, I jsut discovered a little trick to find them. Goto the Royal mail web page click here and click on the postcode finder, you'll need to register to use it. Type "British Telecom" in the business name and your town name. It will then list all the exchanges near you.

This is probably old news but I'd thought i would mention it incase anybody was interested/unaware/cared!

Like this post
Stuartli

Likes # 0

I not only know the location of my local exchange but also that I'm 580 yards from it as the crow flies....:-)

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

top speed for you then, lucky so and so.....

Like this post
kissanpoika

Likes # 0

So now I know the distance how do I calculate what effect it will have on speed...?

Thanks

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

You will get full speed upto 1 km away

Half speed up to 2 km away

anymore than 5 km and you can forget it

Like this post
Jackcoms

Likes # 0

Or go here click here type in your postcode or phone number and click 'Check!'.

Then click on 'BT ADSL' and it tells you the name of your exchange, your straight line distance from that exchange and the ADSL capacity of the exchange.

Like this post
Starfox

Likes # 0

Very informative,thank you.

Shows that I am 1.6km from my exchange.

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

That's a goos site 440m for me!

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

did mean good not goos

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

750 Meters. I never knew it was that close. Actually I'm still on dialup, but switching next month. It states I should get the full 2mb, We will see.

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

thats alot more acurate and easier!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...