We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I get my lap top to accept the network key?

ardeebee

Likes # 0

I have 2 old laptops both running on Windows XP, which I am trying to connect via WIFI to a Belkin router. I have set up a network connection on each laptop. One works fine but the other will not accept the network key which I know to be correct. I can see that the "properties" of the connections are different but can't see how to change them. The non-working connection is headed "Wireless Network Key(WEP)" and has 2 fields which cannot be changed. These are:- Data encryption(WEP enabled) and Network Authentication(Shared mode) The working connection is simply headed "Wireless network Key" and its 2 fields are as follows:- Network Authentication (this is set as WPA-PSK) and Data encryption (this is set as AES)

Both laptops did connect before I did a recent "Quick restore". Any suggestions, please?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The properties dalogue window is the one you opened when you right-clicked on the wireless network connection. If you have got as far as unchecking the IEE 802.1x then you should see a Connection tab - this is where you shold see the "connect when this network in range" option.

If this does not work you could try the link to the microsoft fix given in my earlier post.

Like this post
ardeebee

Likes # 0

No, couldn't see the "connect when this network in range" option at all. Also tried the Microsoft fix without success. However, the problem is now fixed thanks to Jaywoo's suggestion regarding Service Pack 2.Evidently my Factory Restore goes back to pre-SP2 days when WEP is the only Network type supported. As soon as SP2 was installed the Network connection recognised my correct (non-WEP style) password and connected immediately. Thanks to all who replied with suggestions but especially to Jaywoo, who cracked the problem!!

I've got 1 or 2 other issues with this same laptop which I will start new threads on, once I've got sorted. Thanks, again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer