We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help requested to set up a home network

john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have a Desktop (W7 Ult), a laptop (W7 Home Premium), an iPad 4, a Belkin 300N router, a Canon MP540 scanner / printer. At the moment my router is connected by Ethernet cable to the desktop; I use Wi Fi for the laptop and iPad. The printer is connected to the desktop by a USB interface so I print only from the desktop.. I would like to create a network such that I can transfer files between the computers, and to print from all 3 devices. I could, perhaps, connect the MP640 to the router by Ethernet cable, or use its WiFi, or leave it, but would prefer to be able to use it with the desktop off, so maybe the Ethernet cable is best. I could flog through instructions from the suppliers, but often find that someone here could offer a best solution, so I would be glad to receive suggestions. All my driver software is up to date.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The best thing to do is to set up a homegroup and you will be able to share files, printers, etc. This article goes through it plainly step-by-step.

You say that you would prefer to use the printer without turning on the desktop. To do this you could either see if it is possible to connect your priner to your router by ethernet or usb - not all routers have this facility. Alternatively, as you say, you could set it up wirelessly, assuming it has a wireless function - it will then be available to all pc's on your homegroup - this article will take you through the set up.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

difarn

Thanks for the steer. Will study the article.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

And once you have set the home group up with all the share items on pc's down load the App File Browser on the IPAD4 (was £1.99 when I purchaed it) and then you can also use your ipad to go into pictures, documents and any other shared items in the PC's on Home Group.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Meant to say also into the router USB and also any NAS

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks. Will follow up suggestions

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features