We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow WiFi speeds with my Laptop

RISC OS user
Resolved

Likes # 0

My LAN speed is usually around 5100 via my SpeedTouch router ST585v6. When I am using my Laptop, an HP Pavilion dv6 running Windows 7 with an AMD quad Core cpu, not the fastest of computers!, I seem to get WIFi speeds as low as 1700 whilst at other times can get 5000. The Router is only about 6 feet away from the Laptop! Is the speed drop a "computer problem" or a router one? If I connect the Laptop to the LAN the speed will always be at about 5100. My desktop computer is connected to the LAN and has a speed of 5100. I have the usual security set on the Router. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Is your wifi adapter up to date?

It could be due to interference- do you have a cordless phone, for example, near? Have you tried changing the wireless channel on the router? Try 1, 6 or 11.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Almost certainly interference on the wireless channel. If there's a practical way of having the ethernet cable attached at all times you will have a far more stable connection than you ever will with wireless. Short of that, try changing the wireless channel that you're on.

There's a free program you can download called inSSIDer (download here) which will show you which wireless channels are already in use by other Wifi networks, but be aware that other wireless devices (such as cordless phones) can cause interference too, and these will not show on inSSIDer.

Like this post  
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

Thank you for your suggestions, I have connected an Ethernet cable this is fine whilst I have the laptop in the same room but not otherwise. I think I will have to put up with it!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features