We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

hh3 and external hhd

lossie

Likes # 0

I have attached an external hhd to my BT Home Hub 3 using the usb port. All computers on the network can access the drive to read and delete files but it will not allow me to add files. Is there something obvious I am missing? I am using w7pro 32bit

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There are comments on other forum about external hard drives needing to have their own power supply to be able to write to it (apparently there is enough power to read and delete) - there probably isn't enough power just through the usb device. Is your HD mains powered?

The home hub 3 says that the usb port is enabled for use so that should not be a problem.

If the power isn't the problem have you assigned all of the relevant permissions?

Like this post
lossie

Likes # 0

hdd is powered. I have tried changing permissions but it doesn't let. I have tried mapping the drive on my pc that just locks me out.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

It could have something to do with the format of the hard drive - some routers will read files formatted in NTFS but needs to be formatted to FAT 32 in order to have files written to it.

Have you been successful when the hard drive has been directly connected to your PC.

Like this post
lossie

Likes # 0

hdd is formatted to FAT32 and when connected direct to pc I can add files but it is a bit of a pain to have to keep disconnecting it from the hub and then reconnecting it

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You say you have looked at permissions - did you in fact look at those of your external hard drive?

Open Removable Storage. In the console tree, right-click the specific item you want to change user permissions for, and then click Properties.

In the Properties dialog box, click the Security tab. Click the name of the user or group whose permissions you want to change, and then do one of the following: To change specific permissions, select or clear the Allow and Deny check boxes for each of the three levels of permissions: Use, Modify, and Control, as applicable

You may like to read through this article to see if there is anything obvious to you.

Like this post
lossie

Likes # 0

Yes I have tried all that it will not save any changes to permissions. Mapping it on the pc locks me out. Reading the other thread you mentioned it appears I am not alone I have tried all the routes suggested there already and have the same problem as mentioned there. It seems strange I can delete files but not add them.

It may be a hh3 issue and not a windows issue. Looks like I will need to keep using the long route

Thanks.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

When you were setting up the hard drive on your home hub did you have to set up a BT workgroup - this BT Home Hub help intimates that this is what has to be done.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features