We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connect laptop to wireless network

johnincrete

Likes # 0

I live in an apartment block. I am on the 1st floor & my daughter is on the 2nd. She has the landline connection (I don't) and an ADSL connection. A highly skilled technician has run a cable from her internet connection down to my apartment and it is connected to a TP-Link TL-MR3220 Wireless router. This in turn is connected via an ethernet cable down to my office in the basement and thence to my computer where I get good internet access. So far so good. I want to use my old Dell laptop in my apartment particularly for Skype as a phone substitute particularly for international calls. The laptop has no wireless built in facility. The technician said all I had to do was to connect the laptop to the router using an ethernet cable. This I have done & I see no evidence of any connection. Under Network Connections, LAN or High Speed Internet, Local Area Connection, I see Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated C. I had a Crypto AirData 150 Plus S2 USB Adaptop and have connected this and run the Installation from the supplied CD. I pick up my wireless network and it tells me "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network" It has accepted the password OK. What is a certificate and where would I get one? The whole subject of network connections is a puzzle to me so please assume I no nothing!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You mention an old Dell laptop but not the operating system. Have you updated drivers recently particularly the ethernet controller/network adapters?

Am I right in then assuming that you decided to make a wireless connection - again are the drivers for this up to date - this is where you can get updates from .

Click on start, control panel, network and sharing centre, manage wireless networks, change adapter settings (right side ) right click on the Wireless Network Connection and click on properties, Under the network tab, click on Internet Protocol Version 4( TCP/IPv4 ) and click on properties, and check the box that says Obtain an IPv4 address automatically, and Obtain DNS server address automatically, and click ok.

It could be that you are running IEEE 802.1x authentication, but are not actually in a 802.1x (EAP) environment.

If this is the case try this:-

Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Connection and select Properties --> Click on the Authentication tab --> Disable / uncheck the option IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network. Now, try to connect to your Wireless network; are you able to? (Note: you may need to restart the computer.)

If for some reason the option to uncheck the 802.1 is greyed out then check your settings are on WEP not WEA in your network set up. You will need the WEP code to set this up which is usually on the base of the router.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn I'm running XP SP2 Things were not quite as you specify and I did have to uncheck tghe IEEE authentication. I eventually connected to the network and was asked to enter the network key or WEP code as 5 or 13 characters. I looked on the base and cannot find such a code. I've emailed TP link asking where it is. Meanwhile, what would it look like - all digits, all letters or a mixture, any pattern?

You say I should download the latest drivers and, since it is several years since the laptop was connected to the internet (via a dial-up ADSL connection) I intended to do exactly that. But how can I do it without connecting to the internet?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Re-reading your post it says that you first of all wanted to connect the laptop to the router via ethernet - the router is in your office and I assume that it is ok for your wired laptop to be there - you are not bothered about it being wireless? Am I right.

Have you tried to connect the laptop using the ethernet cable that goes into your pc that is working just in case there is a fault with the ethernet cable being used for the laptop?

The WEP code would be a mixture of letters and numbers. Here is the manual for your router if you don't already have it. Is the WEP on the side of the packaging for the router?

If you can't find your WEP code you could have a go at downloading new ethernet drivers.

You can download drivers on another PC onto a usb flash drive and then transfer them to the laptop. You need to update the XP drivers for Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated C from the Dell site here - choose the model and go from there.If you can't find the service tag choose the "choose from Dell Products" option and go from there.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

As an afterthought you could use your other pc to go into the configuration pages of your router. You need to type the address of your router into the url address bar at the top of your browser - here it is something in the range of....

192.168.0.1 ; 192.168.1.1 ; 192.168.100.1 ; 192.168.1.100. When you get onto this you will see two boxes for user name and password. If you have not already changed these the default is usually admin/admin or admin/password or admin/blank. You should then go to security/wireless connection and you should have the WEP key.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features