We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

advice on a good wireless router/modem please

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I am trying update my kit and want to switch to wireless from wired. I have a linksys wired router which is fine but on the slow side. 3 pc`s connected with ethernet 100mbs. As I understand things I can get up to 300 using the correct PCI card or USB dongles which I have. I have tried the "Cheap and cheerful" ebay stuff. Cheap yes, cheerful no, load of crap, I will bin it lesson learned. To get to the point I just want opinions on which is a good wireless router for home use. I want to connect 3 desktops and 1 laptop. 2 desktops are less than 1m from access point, third is about 4. The laptop or any other wireless device I would like to be able to work at about 40mtrs away going through 2 brick walls. I have tried to give as much info as possible.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"I have a linksys wired router which is fine but on the slow side. 3 pc`s connected with ethernet 100mbs"

Slow in what respect? At the moment you have three or four computers connecting to the router at 100Mbps, with each enjoying the full 100Mbps available bandwidth. If you change to 300Mbps 802.11n hardware, in practice the speed may be about 200Mbps shared between all connections. That will be considerably slower for each computer than your present arrangement.

If you really want a faster network for data transfer between computers, upgrade your hardware (router and all network adapters) to Gigabit (1000Mbps) wired ethernet. You could connect just the remote Laptop by 300Mbps 802.11n WiFi, which wouldn't degrade the network performance of your wired PCs.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

mgmcc, thanks for the info, seems like I am better off with my existing wired set up. I still want to have wireless access to laptop say 50mtrs range. Any suggestions please.

Ray

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

50 mtrs is pushing it a bit (with the two walls you mention). Might be better going down the Homeplug route?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks, I clearly know little about this. I wanted to be able to use the laptop without cabling as it is difficult in my circumstances, it can be done but a very long cable run.

A wireless router seemed like the answer. I bought a 300Mbps and some dongles thinking that I would connect all of the machines by wireless and that they would be faster than 100Mbps ethernet. I was unaware that the 300Mbps which is more likely to be 200Mbps was shared between all connections. On that basis it would only be faster if only one PC connected.

Speed increase was not the initial objective but I got sidetracked due to my inexperience of the matter.

Now I am thinking, keep the wired ones wired and buy a cheap slower wireless router just for the laptop. (as suggested by mgmcc)

Homeplug looks like another option that I had not heard of until now, having researched it, it seems it will probably be more reliable over the distance but less flexible and a fair bit more expensive

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features