We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help! Need networking Guru.

djamoran

Likes # 0

I have just bought a Linksys E4200 following the review on PC Advisor. That I thought this could replace my Orange Broadband Gigaset SE572 as an ADSL Router should show my naiivety when it comes to networking!

What I have decided to do is this, use the Gigaset SE572 as a modem then Ethernet link the E4200 to this so i'll still have the speed for my home network.

I have run the installer that came with the E4200 and managed to get an internet connection.

So, onto the issue.

I have issues playing a game which requires a number of ports to be opened, FSX.

Is there any way to just forward the ports on the E4200 or do I have to do it on both?

Can I setup the Gigaset to open everything to the E4200 so I only need to change settings on that?

What settings does the Gigaset need to have when it comes to the router page, I'm getting lost in NAT, DHCP, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help, I've tried to resolve it myself but the last thing I did was to disable DHCP on the gigaset and everything disappeared. I've spent the past 3 hours just getting an internet connection through the E4200 again

Dave

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you've connected the Linksys router's RJ45 ethernet WAN port to one of the Gigaset's LAN ports, it (the Linksys) will behave as though it is connected directly to the ISP's own router. Therefore any port forwarding or other configuration should only need to be done in the Linksys.

The one important requirement when using a sub-router in this way is that both routers operate in a different subnet (IP address range). The third octet (number) of each router's IP address must be different, e.g. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1

The sub-router's WAN IP address would normally be an internet address allocated by the ISP, but in your case it will be a LAN IP address allocated by the main router. DHCP must remain enabled in both routers so that the main router allocates an IP address to the sub-router and the sub-router allocates addresses to connected computers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features