We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ethernet cable ok with already wifi laptop?

nissanalmera

Likes # 0

Hi,Do I simply plug in ethernet cable to router and then laptop which is already set up wifi without any problems? I would like to know if I can simply plug in without any problems to laptop. Does this interfere with wifi set of laptop and do I simply unplug ethernet cable whenever I want and laptop will continue as wifi to internet? Many thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have my WiFi connection set to manual so I have to click on it to connect wirelessly. To use the ethernet cable I just plug it in and out as needed.

Afraid I don't know how that works if you have set WiFi to automatically connect.

Like this post
nissanalmera

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic,Thanks for your response.Your way seems to be the answer.Is it easy to set up? Many thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Just go into your WiFi Connection Settings and change to manual or untick connect automatically (depends what you use as a connection manager I have O2's manager as sometimes use O2 when away from home so am not using built-in Windows connection manager)

It's like when you scan for available networks... then choose one to connect to. But for your own you will already have put the password etc in and saved it so it should just be a case of clicking on connect when you see yours listed. Mine is top of the list that comes up.

If I am on WiFi and want to change I disconnect from WiFi before I plug the ethernet cable in.

Like this post
nissanalmera

Likes # 0

Thanks my friend,that sounds perfect,I know where you are and I think I can do that without a problem.Many thanks again for you responses.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

There isn't a problem having both wired and wireless connections to the router running simultaneously, but only one will deliver internet access and there is a setting to configure which connection has the priority.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Thanks mgmcc I never knew that :)

Can you point to where you alter the setting to configure which connection has the priority (for future reference).

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

lotvic,

In the "Network Connections" folder menus, select the Advanced item and then Advanced Settings. In the "Adapters and Bindings" tab, the top section lets you move the adapter that should have priority up to the top.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

mgmcc Many thanks, duly noted :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded