We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow internet when running two PC's

brevav2

Likes # 0

Hi to all

I currently have a Post Office (UK) broadband contract which supplies a 'Netgear' router type DG834G (54 Mpbs ADSL) We have two laptops enabled to the above router,if running just one computer the system functions fine,around 1.5-1.7 Mb line speed on average, (no high speed here sadly as its a semi rural location aprox 3 miles from the exchange, but the above speeds are acceptable when we can obtain them) The problem arises when the two computers are running at the same time,the speed drops noticeably, and hence if for example trying to watch the BBC I player this becomes impossible, either not playing at all or constantly rebuffering,other sites take ages to download, Can anyone kindly give any pointers as to how i can tackle the problem? is it a case of getting a more powerful router? and if so any suggestions as to which one would be suitable, or are there any other means of boosting the power to enable us to use both PC's properly, incidently i have replaced the various cables/ADSL plugs/fitted a new face plate(without the bell ringer) to the telephone main socket box but to no avail All help/advice gratefully received

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings