We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless to NAS

unreal2414

Likes # 0

Hi Guys,

I have a client who has a windows XP laptop SP3 in a Windows 2003 domain. There is a d-link NAS device on the network that has mapped network drives on it.

Problem is when he is on the LAN he can access these network drives fine. But when he switches to wireless and you access the drives on the NAS it gives an error saying "network drives are already in use" or "can't found network drives". Also you can't access the NAS via URL or browsing to it via windows explorer, its like its not on the network anymore. Weird thing is though you can ping the NAS device successfully on the wireless network. When you plug the network cable back in you can then access the network drives on the NAS and browse to it via URL.

Any help is appreciated as I have trying to figure this out for a few weeks now.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Is it perhaps an IP addressing / Mac address filtering / Firewall configuration issue with the Wireless adapters not set up properly in the network?

Obviously the wireless connections should simply emulate wired ethernet connections, but without the cable.

Like this post
unreal2414

Likes # 0

Also I can't browse to the server through windows explorer when I'm on the wireless as well. but can ping it

Wireless adapter is on the same subnet as LAN as well

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Is the router Samba and FTP compatible?

If so, check to ensure these options are enabled and configured correctly.

Many cheaper or older models claim NAS support, but really don't recognise anything above 4GB and FAT32

Like this post
unreal2414

Likes # 0

Thanks Crosstrainer, but I have also found that while on the wireless connection you can't access the server or other network resources but you can ping the server.

I have checked DNS on Wireless and LAN and they both resolve to the server..

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Can you post the make and model? It's looking to me as though a new one may well be required, and I can make some recommendations, but it may yet be possible to get this one going!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses