We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homegroup Issues

JayDay
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've been struggling with my Homegroup ever since I upgraded to Windows 7.

I have a desktop machine running Windows 7 attached to my Netgear DG834PN router via cable.

I have two laptops both running Windows 7 attached to the network via a wireless connection.

If I create a homegroup on any of the three computers I can not seem to join the group from any of the others. However If I connect the laptops to the router via a cable then I can, but as soon as the cable is removed I can not reconnect to the homegroup.

I looked at the properties on the wireless adapter on one of the laptops and notice IPv6 states 'no network connection' I know homegroup needs IPv6 so think this maybe the problem. However I can't find a solution to the IPv6 no network connection problem.

Any suggestions?

Like this post
Wuggy

Likes # 0

Have a look at this web page to see if it's of any assistance. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/26345d12-169a-41ee-8a25-7d023e3bccaf

Like this post
Wuggy

Likes # 0

Now that I've discovered how to make link on the new forum I'll try again. Have a look at this web page to see if it's of assistance. Click here

Like this post
JayDay

Likes # 0

Thanks, but that didn't work. Just checked both laptops. One of them says IPv6 states 'no network connection' the other doesn't but both can't connect to the homegroup via wireless connection, but can through a wired connection.

I wonder could it be a router setting?

Like this post
JayDay

Likes # 0

Well, without doing anything all of a sudden all the computers and laptops can now see each other on the Homegroup. Although I can't be certain it seemed to happen around the time of a windows update.

Like this post
JayDay

Likes # 0

I think I have found the cause of the problem. After a power cut the computers couldn't see each other again on the home group. I wondered if it was to do with the router going off and back on again so I decided to turn off the laptops and reboot the router. Hey presto all is now working again.

I am not a techie but can only assume it was something to do with IP addresses assigned to the computers attached to the routers.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features