We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't connect Sony TV with Dongle to internet

olepompey

Likes # 0

I have Netgear router and can't connect to Sony TV

I thought earlier comments would solve my problems with my Sony KDL32EX713 but No.
I didn't do anything at the router admin side as I couldn't see what could be changed (I'm on Vista). Its IP is 192.168.0.1
I looked at adding a wireless device but it lost me.
On the TV I tried the manual set up on that Bordersman suggested with the above in the default and DNS lines. leaving the sub net unchanged at 255.255.0.0 and the IP as 192.168.1.15.
I said No to Proxy sever (didn't understand the comment about DHCP. It searched and came back with wireless device ok but local and internet connection failed !
Can some wise person give me some simple instruction on what to do? It should be easier than this !

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

192.168.1.15 try 192.168.0.15

Like this post
olepompey

Likes # 0

Any more ideas would be welcome. Its crazy that I have to do this, don't Sony have some support?
Regards

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

In addition to changing the IP address to an address in the correct Subnet, e.g. 192.168.0.15, it is also necessary to change the Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses to 192.168.0.1 (YOUR router's IP address).

The Subnet Mask address in the previous posting from which you took your settings was incorrect, it should be 255.255.255.0

Like this post
olepompey

Likes # 0

I Have the subnet mask correct now and the gateway and DNS's set as my routers IP address and am now getting a message that the wireless device is ok and local access is ok (which is better than earlier) but internet access failed.
How do I know what IP address to use for the TV setting (you mentioned in the correct sub-net? which I don't understand.
Thanks

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The "Subnet" is just the IP Address range, in your case 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254, so you can allocate any *unused* address in that range to the TV. The router already has 192.168.0.1

As far as the DNS Server addresses are concerned, it is normally sufficient to use the Router's IP address. However, you could also use one or both of your ISP's DNS Server addresses. If you go into the router's Status page, you should see the DNS Server addresses which the ISP has allocated to it. Try using those same addresses in the TV's settings.

Like this post
olepompey

Likes # 0

Unless you have any more ideas I'm going to try and get the router and TV close together and try an ethernet cable !
I looked at the router properties in Network on my pc and it has 192.168.0.1 as its IP address but if I look using the 'Microsoft Window bottom left start search' with run/cmnd/ipconfig it tells me IPv4 is 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 and default gateway is 192.168.0.1. So a bit of confusion between the 0.1 and 0.2.
If on the TV settings I use say 192.168.0.3, subnet 255.255.255.0 what do you suggest for the TV gateway and DNS settings?
Thank you very much for your help. By the way I've moved the router to 5 yards from the TV and checked my Broadband speed (6.1 download and 0.8 upload)

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

>>> So a bit of confusion between the 0.1 and 0.2.

The Router's IP address is 192.168.0.1

The Computer's IP address is 192.168.0.2

>>> If on the TV settings I use say 192.168.0.3, subnet 255.255.255.0 what do you suggest for the TV gateway and DNS settings?

The Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses remain as 192.168.0.1 which is the *router's* IP address. The router is acting as both Default Gateway and DNS Server for all devices in the network.

Like this post
olepompey

Likes # 0

Thanks - it worked i got 3 oks on network set-up.
I now get a sony 5006 error when I try to refresh internet content.
I assume you've done your bit and will contact the TV experts unless you can fix this as well ?
If not thank you again for the connection advice

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features