We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Port forwarding on BT Home Hub 2.0

Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Hi

I have Infinity so don't know if that's an issue in my situation. I know I'm being "throttled" by BT when doing P2P downloads so limit this to off peak periods.

I have made the recommended tweaks to Utorrent to speed things up and finished off today by port forwarding. I tried to follow the tut I was using to the letter but the download became even slower!! You have to enter the port number in the Hub settings but I wasn't sure whether it was a single number xyz or a range 0-xyz or even xyz-xyz. I really hope I'm making sense.

I also wasn't sure whether it's TCP or one of the other options I should have selected.

I'm currently on Infinity getting 37.4 Mbps download and 1.7 Mbps upload.

Many thanks for your time.

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Sorry, just to be clear I know what port Utorrent uses it's just that I don't know which format to enter that number in the Home Hub settings.

Thanks

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Perhaps it may be more productive to research/ask your question here

click here

Cheers HC

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Many thanks

The BT Community Site is very helpful but patrolled by BT Staff.(that's why it's helpful). My understanding is that they take a dim view of torrent sites etc!

Like this post
tb64

Likes # 0

Do you have an entry for uTorrent in the Shared Apps in the advanced settings section on the HH?

Using this is supposed to set the ports for you.

I used this but yes, P2P is strangled during the peak periods of Mon - Fri midnight to 11:59pm

:D

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Thanks

Am I misunderstanding or did you really mean Mon-Fri Midnight-11.59pm?

I.e 24 hours a day in midweek is their definition of peak?

Like this post
tb64

Likes # 0

I was taking the P. :D

I get speeds of 34Mbps down and about 8Mbps up but unless you use the net in the early hours the speeds get whacked by everyone else.

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Many thanks

It seems that portforwarding and tweaking Utorrent to it's maximum potential counts for nothing against us BT Throttling.

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Can I follow up one aspect of my original query.

Would dual boot (XP and Vista) affect what shows up in devices in the BT Home Hub 2? It's just that I get three different devices shown and can't differentiate between them.

Many thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features