We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Low wireless connection

Steve Lowe

Likes # 0

Hello
I use a bt business hub and have several laptops that connect up to it fine. But my son has got a fizzbook laptop and it connects but the connection is very low.
Does anyone know of anyway of improving it ?

Many Thanks

Steve

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

What speed is it connecting at? If it has an 802.11g wireless adapter, the 'port' speed, i.e. the speed at which it connects to the router, should be 54Mbps. An 802.11n adapter should be connecting at 150Mbps or 300Mbps depending on hardware.

If it's connecting with 802.11b protocol, it will only run at 11Mbps.

Like this post
Steve Lowe

Likes # 0

Yes its running at 11mbps so must be 802.11b so can this be changed so its quicker and does not lose connection ?

Like this post
Steve Lowe

Likes # 0

Just checked and it is a 802.11g mini card adapter but it is running at 11mbps ? I clicked on update driver but it says its up to date. Is there anything else i can do ?
Thank You.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

I know that some of these run XP Home and some Windows 7 , but either way you should be able to change the wireless speed in device manager under the " advanced " tab , select "g only " and Ok back to the desktop , disconnect and then reconnect .

Ashley

Like this post
Steve Lowe

Likes # 0

Thank you for your help.
In the end i found it was the antena inside the laptop had come loose.
Connected it back up and connecting now at 54mbps :0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination