We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Networking Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

xp and windows 7 only 1 printer

paul1969

Likes # 0

hi all, can anyone help..? downstairs at home i have a cable motorola modem-connected to a netgear wireless router. my xp pc downstairs is connected direct to the router via ethernet cable . my son's windows 7 lap top upstairs connects to the wireless signal. can i network windows xp and 7 via the wireless router to enable the downstairs xp pc to use the printer connected to the win 7 lap top upstairs.ps the xp can only be connected via ethernet . and the printer upstairs is connected to the win 7 lap top via usb

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Install the printer in your XP PC. The simplest way is probably to follow the original instructions, including physically connecting it when prompted.

Then reconnect it again to the Windows 7 Laptop. In the "Devices and Printers" folder, set it as "Shared" by right clicking and selecting Printer Properties and then the Sharing tab.

Make sure that both computers are in the same Workgroup. The default name for Windows 7 and XP Pro is WORKGROUP, but for XP Home Edition is MSHOME.

Then, in the XP PC's "My Network Places", you should have an icon for the Windows 7 PC. Double clicking it shows the shared printer. If you double click that, it should install it as a Network Printer in XP. In the Printers folder, you will then have the printer installed twice - as a Local printer and as a Network printer. Selecting the Network printer, will let you print over the network to the printer attached to the Laptop. Obviously the Laptop has to be running for the printer to be available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features