We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Driving Licence Renewal

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Although this is really Consumerwatch it really deserves the widest circulation.

I just started to renew my driving licence (70+) on line.

Did "Driving Licence Renewal" on Google and made start.

There was something about the fee payable that made me suspicious, and a bit of checking revealed it was a commercial site, checking and sending in your application for a fee.

All quite legal of course but a bit of a scam in my view.

Went back to Google and tried DVLA.

Clicked on a site "DVLA-Driving Licence Renewal" but didn't think this was kosher either, and so it proved.

So beware. Make sure the DNLA site you go to has the "gov.uk" suffix.

The DVLA site itself has a warning about these sites.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The fee-based sites have been around for a long time. I thought it was general knowledge.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

FE, I didn't know about them...

morddwyd, Thanks for the 'Be Aware'

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

The DVLC site online driving licence renewal at age 70 turns out to be a bit of a flop, since when you get to the end of the online part they tell you they will send you a form pre-filled in with the information you have just typed in for you to sign and return to DVLC ,so the best way to proceed is to fill in the first form they sent you sign it and return with a recent photograph this way it takes about 10 days while the online method can take up to 4 weeks

Cheers HC

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

It seems, to me, odd that you weren't aware of this scam.

If such a charge had been legitimate there would have been an angry thread here, when it was introduced, about the government exploiting the elderly etc.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

There are similar misleading sites for passports and other government forms.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I wasn't aware of these sites as I'm not 70+ yet so haven't gone online to find out how to renew Driving Licence.

I don't see how one can magically be aware of them?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

(It seems, to me, odd that you weren't aware of this scam.)

Well I suppose you are only 70 once and have had no need to check details till now. So the answer would be how would you have known.

I certainly did not know about it so I must have gone to the proper site first time when I had to get mine. Also the nice new plastic driving licence replacing the paper licence was free. That was a good price for me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I don't see how one can magically be aware of them?"

It was in all the newspapers a couple of years ago, and in some of them on several occasions since.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

FE, that explains it then. I don't buy newspapers so completely missed that news item. I'm sure there are lots more things I am unaware of as well.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'm sure there are lots more things I am unaware of as well."

Of course there are, we live in an age of information overload - the internet has seen to that - and nobody can hope to keep abreast of everything that gets into the news.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'