We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Christmas oh no not turkey again.

bumpkin

Likes # 0

I wonder why people still buy turkey for their Christmas dinner. A bland tasteless bird that few people buy or eat any other time of the year. Come Christmas when the price is hiked right up everyone buys it WHY?

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Not everyone Bumpkin I had lamb last year and will have lamb again this year, but I do agree with the rest of your post. Having said that my wife and daughter will as usual be eating turkey.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

No turkey for us this year or for the past 30 years since we became vegetarians. Go on try it, you know that you want to.....

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Lot of rubbish talaked about the "traditional" turkey.

It's only become "traditional", in very recent times as an import from North American Thanksgiving.

The traditional Christmas bird was a chicken (which if properly raised still takes some beating) for flavour with a capon for the slightly better off, and a goose for the gentry.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Roast beef, lamb or chicken would suit me, don't think I could do the total veggie thing even though I like roast veg. If the family want turkey because it is "traditional" then I will have to suffer it as I can't really expect my wife to cook 2 different dinners on Xmas day. and yes I do help before anyone brings that up.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I always receive a bagful of traditional turkey meat [uneaten leftovers] from the Christmas Day dinner at my sister's house to take home on Christmas Night. I then [on the 26th], invariably make a lovely Boxing Day breakfast, dinner & lunch - Turkey vindaloo, Turkey madras, Turkey curry, etc. etc. etc.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... makes a most welcome change from chicken!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Aitchbee, I then [on the 26th], invariably make a lovely Boxing Day breakfast, dinner & lunch - Turkey vindaloo, Turkey madras, Turkey curry, etc. etc. etc.

Don't forget some soup.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I rarely have turkey for Christmas. This year it'll be a medley of roast venison, roast gammon and roast guinea fowl with roast vegetables. I like to get my monies worth out of heating the oven up... maybe I should also have roast christmas pudding and roast custard:)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...not to forget the roast soup.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Why is it that people want to make Curries with left over turkey. It doesn't matter how much spice you put in it the original taste comes through with an overwhelming flavour.

The only thing to do with cold turkey is make sandwiches, with mustard, served with pickles on the side. I think I enjoy that more than the Christmas dinner. We don't buy a whole turkey. Its hard to carve, hard to find space in the fridge to keep the remains of it after the main event, and hard to think of uses for it. We have a Turkey Breast joint from our local butcher, which has a much better taste than the supermarket offerings, and as it has no bones its easy to slice and find space for in the fridge, and it only lasts a couple of days.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: Apple's new iPhone is bigger, better & faster than ever before