We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

If you are an avid radio listener

wee eddie

Likes # 0

How do you decide which program to miss, in order to listen to a program that you have downloaded.

Equally, we are all fond of the Music that we matured with.

However, how do you decide that you will not listen to the one latest musical offerings. I can accept that some new genres are difficult, but at what point do you decide to cut them out of you listening spectrum?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

" How do you decide which program to miss, in order to listen to a program that you have downloaded. "

I [perpetually] record to hard disk - in batches of approx 6hrs [+] of analogue Radio[4] [input] and convert all of this analogue audio content into a manageable digital format using an old but reliable piece of software called 'Soundforge'.

During the 70's and 80's I recorded a lot of John Peel's late night Radio1 show onto cassette tape [later, converting to digital format].

I am not a great fan of this new BBC IPlayer malarky ... "you have got X amount of days to listen to ... whatever! "

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... I can't explain how the Latin translation link 1 sneaked into my last post!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

HB - Do you listen to your recordings?

If you do, which programs do you ignore while you're listening to past recordings, or maybe you make a recording of current output while you are listening to the recording of older output

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I've got so much recorded, I don't have to decide because a) I've forgotten most of what I've got and b) even if I give up sleeping there is no way I'd get through it all.

So I tend to 'lucky dip'

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

wee eddie - I have only listened to about 5% of all the material that I have recorded this year ... about 40,000 hours in total [ I unfortunately lost many of the George Orwell radio transmissions 'cos my hard drive went belly-up']. I find it very satisfying/empowering being able to manipulate the many different voices on radio and then pigeon-holing them to suit my listening habits. [ It's worth the license fee, I reckon] ;o)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

PS. The BBC Radio4 and BBC Worldwide Radio program schedules [on their respective websites] give detailed listings of all radio broadcasts for the past year and further back in time are excellent guides when collating personally-made audio recordings.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

... I can't explain how the Latin translation link 1 sneaked into my last post!

imponere from VCR97

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Maybe you'd be interested in the 'Old Time Radio Fan' site - shows to listen to or download click here

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

To me radio is a medium that you just turn on and listen to as is. I've never recorded programmes to listen to later, if I've missed it, I've missed it.

Unlike TV whereby you wait until a programme is finished to go out, the radio just get put off and that's that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers