We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Latin to English translation facilities

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am researching my family history and have purchased a document from the National Archive in an attempt to unravel the circumstances surrounding a Will. The document which records the findings of a court case is dated 1721, is written in script and in Latin - a language I have no knowledge of - by (I think) an ecclesiastical court.

Attempts at trying to decipher the script and use on line translation has failed either as a result of me not recognising written letters, misspelling words or the service not recognising the words used - or more likely all the forgoing!

Searches of the internet have revealed a few commercial translation facilities most of whom are quite expensive. Is there anyone here who is able to suggest a service that would be reasonable for translation of a single A4 sheet of script or perhaps has the ability and is willing to look at the document for me.

With thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

6th form at local grammar form?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Your local Church of England or Roman Catholic Diocese may be willing to help. You have nothing to lose by asking.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I did Latin "O" level but am out of date now except for simple stuff. I agree that a local RC priest may be a help, as would any local University or school that has Latin "A" level teachers. Do you live near any Universities?

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

This has phrases from old Latin legal and historical documents.

Latin phrases

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

Sorry, it seems to be mostly words rather than phrases but it should help.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks to you all for coming back.

Unfortunately, both schools and universities are a no starter as no school around here does Latin (no one uses it these days apparently!) and there are no universities in easy reach (the nearest is over 40 miles away). I shall try my local library as there may be someone there who either has the skill or knows someone who does. A priest is also a good idea which I shall follow up on (even though the church may fall on me on entry!!).

The link to the dictionary is very helpful. There are several of these around, but this is the only one for genealogists I now know of - wish I had found it before. I think (assuming I can make out the script letters) this will be my first source. I should get a lot of satisfaction if I can achieve at least an understanding of the document on my own.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Another failure.

The list of words in the link are not compatible or fails to contain a lot of the words in the text I have. It is possible that some spellings are different as well - ecclesiastical text from Rome?

I did find a site that offered translation to members but the facility has now been withdrawn and no more registrations accepted. I feel this would have been ideal if it was still operative.

Looks as if I shall try the library next and if that fails my local priest.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Your local priest may not be a Latin scholar which is why I suggested your Diocesan offices as they might well know someone who is.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Good point. But it may be easier to access the Diocese via the priest?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"But it may be easier to access the Diocese via the priest?" - Maybe not. The Diocese will have a website with contact details. Theological colleges may be able to help too.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...