We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

anyone else see the comet this evening

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

very big and bright, only a short tail, no telescope req'd. best one i have ever seen, may be around for a few days.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Yes, I think I caught a glimpse of it, from the bus, in a crystal-clear blue sky.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

it was only just after dusk at about 5.20pm when we saw it, out before any stars became visible. took a pic on the smartphone but you have to magnify it too see it proper but then it blurs a bit.

not got an SLR otherwise could have had a good pic.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Didn't think it would be visible to the naked eye in about a weeks time - pre dawn (early morning) in the Eastern skies.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

that is what i thought too, till last night unless it was an ufo

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Are you sure?

All the sources I have read say that it is only visible in the morning, just before dawn.

That;s when I saw it on the 22nd

click here

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/16/speakers-corner/4264410/look-out--here-comes-ison--from-december-/

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There was a Horizon special on last night that's worth looking at on the iPlayer.

What I don't get is that some of these comets have been flying around for 4 billion years plus, and are about 25km in diameter, but if that's the case, how is any of them left with the matter that comes off in the tail over that great time?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Perhaps at the front they collect matter that they've collided into?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...so in fact, a 4 billion year old comet is only as original as Trigger's sweeping brush?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

It was actually Arkwright who had the 'Original' never ending brush.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

if it was not the comet what was it? too big for a star very intense brightness, magnified it to max on the laptop the blurred pixels had a light yellow in the centre and a slight pink to bottom right.

looking out to the english channel it was slightly to the west at 5.20pm heading east or north east. too cloudy tonight to see if its back.

did not think at the time should have used google nght sky to check. surprised nothing else reported everyone was looking up at it and it was around for ages.

perhaps it came early for dr who anniv

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide