We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poll: Will the updates and changes in Windows 8.1 persuade you to upgrade?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Will the updates and changes in Windows 8.1 persuade you to upgrade?

Let us know in our poll.

Poll: Will the updates and changes in Windows 8.1 persuade you to upgrade?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"we will just have to wait and see."

Meanwhile, life goes on.

Like this post
Autobahns

Likes # 0

The original review of Win 8 on PCA was that the 'upgrade' to Win 8 was a 'no brainer'. I for one disagreed & still do & it seems a few on here feel the same even after MS's 8.1 tweaks - There is a fundamental difference between a vertical 27" display & a pad which of which there are 3 (2 Apple & 1 Android) in this house not counting phones.

It's possible to use Win 8 with a mouse & keyboard as I do on one of my PC's (lappy) but it's far more enjoyable using Win 7 with the aforesaid I feel despite some advantages that 8 has over 7 I beta tested 8 from the beginning but went back to 7) - Pads are most handy with bells on but I wouldn't like to be without my desktop PC for (advanced) photo & music editing etc. despite the disparaging 'boxes on desks' label & I find when visitors arrive I can rarely get to my desk PC despite most bringing pads & slabs - Horses for courses? No I wont be (down)upgrading this Win 7 to 8 until MS withdraws support for 7.

Like this post
inicholson

Likes # 0

Currently have 3 computers: use my Win& laptop for work, have an XP desktop for family use and still have my old Vista laptop for the kids to play with.

The cheap introductory price for Win8 had me interested; changing all 3 devices to a single operating system for a low price was very tempting. SO I installed the trial and hated it. I'd probably upgrade the XP (and maybe the Vista) device if MS offered it for £25 again, but I'm not willing to pay current prices to update old devices (Vista is fine and when XP support ends I'll install Linux).

I've no plans to switch Win7 for 8 (or 8.1) and probably wouldn't even if it was free.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

inicholson good for you. You stick to Linux and its variations. I'll stick to Win 8, the best OS Microsoft has ever produce in my humble opinion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July