We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Poll: Will the updates and changes in Windows 8.1 persuade you to upgrade?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Will the updates and changes in Windows 8.1 persuade you to upgrade?

Let us know in our poll.

Poll: Will the updates and changes in Windows 8.1 persuade you to upgrade?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Until Microsoft produce an interface, that does not expect me to touch and dirty, my Monitor's screen, which is slightly more than arm's length away, I shall not upgrade.

The fact that there are "Fixes" that can change my Desktop are totally irrelevant. It is Microsoft's job to provide the correct interface without my having to fiddle with it.

It's like deciding to buying a car. If all they can offer me is a 'Left Hand Drive' one and then expect to procure a 'Kit' that will change it to 'Right Hand Drive'. They can whistle

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I just have anyway.

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

"Will the updates and changes in Windows 8.1 persuade you to upgrade?"

Short answer is no.

I upgraded this laptop from Vista to windows 7 pro because Vista, to me, was awful. I am more than happy with 7, it does exactly what I want.Although this laptop is coming around to 6 years old it is as good as the day I upgraded it. If it fails and I have to buy new, I would format the drive and put this version of 7 on it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...never been one to turn a free lunch down.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's worth it to be able to boot directly to the start screen if you don't have a touchy feely thingy screen:)

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Windows8.1 - awful, hate it. Would return to XP in an instant, given the chance!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Will I upgrade my W7 desktop - No. There are no great advantages of W8 or W8.1 to make me change. The faster boot time is good.

I had a W8 laptop it is now upgraded to W8.1. No major change but the option to power down from the desktop and directly boot to desktop is nice.

I haven't entered the survey as none of the question seem to directly apply to me.

It can be argued that with touchscreen laptops, mobile devices that MS have provided the right interface. You don't have to touch and dirty the screen to use W8. Although my laptop has a touch screen I don't always use it. The touchpad is better some times and sometimes an attached mouse even better. As I have posted in another thread touch is the way ahead. You should see very young children using touch screens. They find it much more natural than a mouse.

Like this post
diesel

Likes # 0

I have just given away my windows pc and purchased an iMac.I think that just about sums it up for me!!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Woolwell: I beg to differ.

Touch is not necessarily the way ahead ~~~~~~~~ but it is (relatively) new.

The real way ahead is multi-option, but primarily voice control using touch/mouse/keyboard in parallel.

My point is: Why do the touch points have to be larger than a fingertip. A 10mm circle would be quite sufficient. Apart from the crass naming of it, what was wrong with the 'Start' Button?

I don't want an Interface that looks like a Child's Play Box and I certainly don't want obligatory scrolling News/Weather/Facebook/Twitter all over my home screen.

I am not a "Consumer" of Entertainment and 'pray god' never will be.

Maybe someone from Microsoft reads these postings and will take on board that a Desktop is not a toy and will need to be replaced in time. The replacement will get the Operating System that fills the environment that it lives in. If they have to design a Windows DT, so be it. Many billions of users will buy it when they eventually replace their Desktop

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I already upgraded to W/8 and then 8.1 It has to be one of the poorest decisions that I have ever made.

Instead of charging for it they should have been giving it away for free.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......