We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Charging pensioners for Prescriptions

Jock1e

Likes # 0

Heard it on the news this morning but missed some of the details that they are going to Charge pensioners for Prescriptions.

I would imagine if true it would not be very popular.I suppose like everything else there are some that can afford it but where would they draw the line.

Myself if it is true I would think it rather pathetic that some would have to choose between Heating Eating or paying to stay alive.

Like I said I never heard it all just some of it but it was a bit worrying to think that they would actually go ahead with it.

As far as I know if you live north of the border you do not pay for prescriptions but maybe that has changed in recent years.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This must have been what I heard. The Think Tank's ideas

Click here

Also on the agenda was to pay £10 to see your doctor.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

No charges in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Makes you wonder what is going on south of the border.

If the shoe was on the other foot and England were the ones getting free prescriptions the other home countries would be up in arms until they got the same benefits.

South of the border they just accept it without fighting for it,They all have a moan about it but do nothing to change it.

I think if they let the English vote on the Scotland referendum it would be a resounding yes vote for Independence.

Just wondered how much this think tank is costing to come up with some of their great ideas.

I suppose some of the richer pensioners do have the means to pay for their prescriptions and charging them £10 to go see their doctor wont bother them either as they probably have private medical care anyway.

90% of prescriptions are free why not just make it the 100% instead.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I very much doubt that there is any chance of any changes before the next election. This is just a Think Tank promoting an idea to see what response there is. They probably can already judge the outcome.

This think tank isn't directly costing you money as it isn't publicly funded eg from the tax-payer. Its funding comes from donations from corporations and individuals. If you buy from the corporations you could arguably be said to have contributed through its profits.

I'm not defending the Reform organisation btw.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Jock1e "I think if they let the English vote on the Scotland referendum it would be a resounding yes vote for Independence."

Yet, strange as it may seem, aren't ALL the 'English' parties campaigning for the "No" vote? Perhaps they recognise the benefits, for England, of Scotland not going it alone??

Please give up this 'free prescriptions in Scotland' nonsense - the Scottish government choose how they will spend their money, just a matter of priorities, and it's not extra cash they are given! England choose to spend their money in different ways - that's not the Scots fault!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spider 9 - England does not choose to spend its money as it doesn't have devolution. Scotland, Wales, NI and England choose how England spends the money through UK parliament.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Whether you agree or disagree with the notion of how Scotland chooses, they are 'given' money courtesy of the Barnett formula and then decide how it's spent through Holyrood.

Are you seriously suggesting that if England wanted to spend their money on prescriptions that Scots, Welsh and NI MPs would try to block it?? Let's talk in real terms!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If 90% of prescriptions are free I just wonder what the costs are to recoup the payments and how much staff is needed to collect or do the paper work Basically how much do they collect and how much have they got to pay out for the manpower behind the collections.

Maybe it is just a way to keep pensioners from getting old, Then they could do away with the old age pension at the same time.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Its about time the whole system regarding 'benefits' are decided and paid out. Because from my side of the fence I have seen many abnormalities over the years, that seem to favour some, more than others. And perhaps more so for those that have never paid into the system.

As a pensioner I take an whole host of medication a day, because according to the medical profession I need it to survive, yet if I gave it all up tomorrow, either through lack of funding or self opinion, what would happen?.

Whatever government of the day, or future government might consider on a Think Tanks suggestion or recommendations in respect of prescription charges, then actually going ahead with the idea, might find that public opinion will rule the day?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spider9 - "Are you seriously suggesting that if England wanted to spend their money on prescriptions that Scots, Welsh and NI MPs would try to block it?? Let's talk in real terms!" Of course not, I was pointing out to you that England, England alone unlike Scotland alone in Scotland, does not decide how to spend the money in England. However I note that you consider that Scots are given money and therefore the Barnett Formula is favourable to Scotland.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback