We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Car wont start at all

BlessT

Likes # 0

So yesterday I was in a rush to go somewhere, and just as I put my key in the ignition my car wouldn't start, Lights wouldn't go on and the dashboard was blank aswell.

Its been weeks since my car gave me problems. and I was able to kick start it. But today I tried kick starting it for like an hour and as soon as I removed the jumper cables car went dead again..

I asked a friend of mine to help my car get power by using his battery then put mine back in so it could charge. I left the engine running for approximately 2 hours. After that I took it for a drive and came back and parked it. Today as I put my key in the ignition same problem occurred.

What could the problem be? is it my battery? how do I revive it, can I still get it to work properly without kick starting it for a long period?

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Sounds like batterys dead to me,if you can get to a garage have the battery checked over,most do it free of charge but sounds most likely to me,same happened to me last year when the cold snap came killed my battery dead,it was 7 yr old though,some have an indicator window on top,if yours has and its showing black its dead

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I'm no Motor wizard but, from what I can remember, there is a thing called "The Alternator" which causes the Battery to charge while the car is running.

If this fails a problem similar to the one you describe, occurs.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

could be,until the batterys checked over theres no way of knowing

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Had the same problem with a Renault 19 some years ago, it was a Dead Battery, internal short though it did not give no indication battery being on its way our. replace the battery and it will be okay. Asked RAC man if it was a known problem and he said yes with modern battery's

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS bump Starting the car and running it with the old battery will kill the alternator

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

To me it looks like the alternator coming to the end of it's life, so no longer charging the battery properly, leading to the failure of the battery too.

This happened to me some years ago, when I drove a Citroen BX diesel. Had to start it on jump-leads and drive it several miles, to get it fixed, with no electrical power whatsoever, so no brake-lights or indicators and no stalling! Only made possible because it had mechanical fuel injection so the engine required no electricity to run, once started.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

also you should not remove a battery while the car is running as this will also kill the alternator

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Usually a warning light on the dash if it is the alternator, probably the battery itself or possibly something draining it overnight. How old is the car and the battery.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If battery is not charging from alternator there should be a red light on the dash. (lit when flow from battery towards alternator goes out when flow from alternator to battery.)

sounds like battery is dead, get garage or Halfords to do a "Drop Test" on the battery this measures the output under heavy load.

to quickly test the alternator switch on head lights while idling, rev the car and the lights should brighten up a notch.

Mulitimeter (Volts) across battery terminals should see about 14.5v output from the alternator

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

You need a new battery, yours has completely failed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED