We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Charity wristband suggestions?

Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Hi everyone :) as I'm sure you all know, Remembrance Day has just been and gone. This year I noticed that they also sold poppy wristbands rather than just traditional Poppy's, and when I got it and started wearing it, that gave me the idea of what I want to start doing. Collect wristbands so I can have my wrists full of them haha.

So like I said, I've got a black poppy wristband. I went into a British heart foundation shop in town on Wednesday to get a wristband from them. I just ordered a Help For Heroes wristband and a Support The Forces wristband yesterday.

The next ones I'm probably going to get is a collection from this page...

I prefer when I can get them from town, in which it will cost me less money because I have a bus pass so that means that I'm only paying for the wristbands, not for the travel/delivery. I know that a lot I can only get online, but the more I can get from a shop, the better.

If anyone has any more suggestions of charity wristbands, that'll mean a lot :)

1]: [click here

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Well so much for my "suggestions of charity wristbands" question guys haha. I never would of thought the next thing that's talked about here would be about advertising lol.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

...and about "do people look at other's wristbands", often when I've seen someone with a whole bunch of different wristbands on especially when all different colours, I can't help but be like "wow, that's so cool".

I came across this photo of Liam from One Direction with a load of wristbands on and I think it just looks so incredibly cool arms full of them. Obviously I want all different ones not the same haha. And I'm going to get some of my favourite bands and my favourite singer too, plus others that simply have a really meaningful message.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

It's silly in my opinion wearing wristbands that mean nothing to you, but when if someone asks you about the wristbands and you are able to say exactly what each one means and means to you, surely you can agree that that's a really nice thing? Wristbands are more than simply raising awarness and showing you helped so and so or participating in so and so.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

And also particular wristbands, it can really help others, simply by people who are going through that (such as breast cancer) and see someone wearing that wristband (pink in this example---and not necessarily at the awareness time), that can really help people.

And then because what I do on my blog write to inspire for anyone going through tough times, I know a lot about what is internationally done on November 30th. Anyone who's self harmed wears a black ribbon or wristband or whatever and others who know about it because they go through/went through it, that really really helps them. People don't just do it if they themselves have though, as just like me, i do it to show support.

And that's all what wristbands are for, one to raise money, two to raise awareness, three to show you've done your part, four to show your support for anyone who goes through whatever it is, and then fifth, that there's a meaning to you like, I'm going to get is a NSPCC wristband sometime because I've known a lot who get abused, and I've helped those in one way or another who get abused, so there's a lot of meaning there, not just the charity, but what the charity is.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Liam from one direction with a load of wristbands on"

I can't help but think the reverential credibility of the wristbands is lost with the retro streetwise back to front baseball cap...

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Every time I go to hospital I get coded wristbands - yellow one to say I am radioactive, red one to say I am allergic to something and a white one 'cos everyone has to have one - last time I got duplicates on the ankles as well.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

To pull yourself together correctly?!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Last time I went to hospital I noticed that the proposed (prior to treatment) blood tests were in the wrong name. It appears the consultant saw another patient after me and used his hospital number to print the blood forms....

The nurses, nice as they are, thought it was my fault somehow..

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I think people who 'Collect' wristbands are in the same category as the people who buy the bejewelled Poppy brooches. They are showing off.

I'm particularly miffed at the jewelled Poppy brooches. They cost anything up to £25 and only a third of the price is given to the British Legion, and presumably the people who buy them see it as a one off purchase and won't buy another one next year. The whole point of the Poppy Appeal is that it is an annual thing and having bought an expensive item the people who have the brooches probably won't contribute in the future. If they can afford £25 it would be far better given direct to the Poppy Appeal than to a company getting on the bandwagon and making money out of it. I was offered a more fancy Poppy when I put paper money in the collecting tin but declined it and took a basic poppy. The ex service collector gave me a lapel pin as well but I will still donate again next time.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

BT

I'm with you all the way on this.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up