We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What are your thoughts on Charity Christmas cards

hssutton

Likes # 0

I'm talking about the unsolicited packs of cards that drop through your letter box at this time of year. Over the past few days we have received 4 of these packs all of them requesting a donation of £10. No doubt going on past experience several more will arrive over the next 2/3 weeks.

Personally any spare money will be going to the Philippines.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I dislike the practice of unsolicited cards being sent out by charities. It becomes a form of moral blackmail in that you tend to feel obliged to pay. Charity Christmas cards that you buy online or from a store are a different matter.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

"It becomes a form of moral blackmail in that you tend to feel obliged to pay." That is the idea of it which is why I won't donate to them. If I were to be asked if I wanted to buy some that is different.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Not sure if it was Poundland or one of the other £1 or 99p shops, but I noticed the other day, they were selling Christmas charity card packs. Perhaps last years overstock?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'buy online or from a store'

The problem is in being sure how much money is going to the charity.

Rather than buying charity cards at all it would be better to buy the cheapest cards you can find and give the difference to your choice of charity.

(Better still, of course, is to not buy any cards.)

Charities who try and blackmail people should be ashamed of themselves. It seems to me quite possible that it leads to a reduction in total donations to charity because people get fed up with it.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Do as I do I don't send cards and instead make a charity donation

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I don't buy Charity Christmas cards as it seems to me that a minuscule amount of the sale proceeds actually goes to the charities nominated, in fact the only "charity" I ever donate to is the Salvation Army.

However I love sending and receiving Christmas cards, it is the one time of the year that I am in touch with the many friends and colleagues I have. Each one gets an individual personal message - none of that Happy Xmas from stuff - and in return I invariably get an update of how they and their family have done over the previous 12 months. More than 60 cards sent and received last year and I will continue in the same tradition this year.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I send a card to all of my friends too so a free charity pack of 10 will last me a decade so I don't need all the other junk mail.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

And my dog does not really appreciate it anyway.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Let's have no more mention of the 'C' word until the curfew is lifted, on 25th November.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Whoops! F.E. sorry about that, so annoyed with these thick envelopes dropping through the letter box.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'