We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which do you consider the greediest professions

bumpkin

Likes # 0

As the heading who do you think. Some examples, bankers, lawyers, doctors, MP's dentists, vets, footballers, celebrities. Plenty more I can think of that seem to get more than their fair share relative to their input.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Top women tennis players, who get paid the same prize-money as the men [ check out Wimbledon ] ... but only 'perform' for a maximum of 3 sets in contrast to 5 sets for the men.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"..........seem to get more than their fair share relative to their input."

That's a subjective judgement, and of course you can't be sure exactly what their 'input' is. Members of the professions study for a long time before qualifying, and of course all of them have a good deal of responsibility on their shoulders - the consequences of making mistakes can be disastrous and costly for them and for their clients/patients.

If you had to carry that burden you might feel that you should be amply rewarded for the work that you do.

I make no comment about footballers or celebrities because neither of those occupations qualify as professions - you don't need any paper qualifications to play football or appear in the gossip columns.

Like this post
mbc

Likes # 0

Consequences are not always compensated by remuneration. In my first occupation, I have had several, I was (and still am) a chartered structural engineer. Mistakes can have catastrophic consequences, but the money is low. I know of a young designer who killed himself because a small footbridge he designed collapsed leading to death and injury. I know of no Lawyer who made a mistake leading to someone dying as a direct result.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Fe, I appreciate your point and those fortunate enough to have the education opportunities in the first place should carry responsibility for their failures. What actually happens in life seems very different, Shoestring (I don't do blame) being an example.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Never quite worked out what an Estate Agent does to earn his/hers exorbitant fees.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

"Never quite worked out what an Estate Agent does to earn his/hers exorbitant fees."

Easy question to answer, take a few photos and do some cheap advertising, show buyers around your house which you could do better yourself, recommend their solicitors for a rake off and charge you £5,000 No proper qualifications required hence the cheap fee.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"those fortunate enough to have the education opportunities in the first place should carry responsibility for their failures"

That attitude always irritates me slightly; surely everyone should carry responsibility for personal failures - it has nothing whatever to do with being fortunate. There are lots of successful professionals who did not have a silver spoon in their mouth as far as their education is concerned, and lots of people who enjoyed private education who have never made a success of anything.

Saying that successful people are that way because they were fortunate enough to have educational opportunities is rubbish - ability is what counts in the end, and the drive to use that ability to best advantage.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

bumpkin

"...take a few photos and do some cheap advertising, show buyers around your house which you could do better yourself, recommend their solicitors for a rake off and charge you £5,000 No proper qualifications required hence the cheap fee."

That assessment serves only to highlight the fact that you don't have much of an idea about what the business is all about.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

...utility bosses, railway bosses, MPs, BBC bosses...

This is fun.

Like this post
mbc

Likes # 0

Re Estate Agents. As an Engineer, I was accompanying a party of bigwigs around a major sewage pumping station to show them a behind the scenes view of what was involved. Any failure of the system would lead to catastrophic flooding of the town centre. One of the party was an Estate Agent with whom I was friendly. He said to me that he was amazed at the responsibilities we Engineers carried, and said that if he made a mistake in pricing a property he could always explain it away by saying that it was the correct valuation at the time, and no one could disprove it, but an Engineers mistakes could be horrendous. However, having worked closely with Valuers, I know this is just a small part of their work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad