We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

EU referendum may confuse voters 'not aware country is part of union'

hssutton

Likes # 0

I keep on reading about our failed/failing education system and that the younger generation are only interested in celebs, but is it possible that some voters are not aware that we are members of the EU? Or could this be a ploy to destroy the 'bill' ensuring a referendum

voters unaware

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I agree with the commission that the question could be better worded.

“Do you think that the United Kingdom should be a member of the European Union?”

I would replace 'be' with 'remain' (or even re-work the whole sentence).

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I'm sure there are people who think we are in the Common Market and not the European Union. Others will think EU stands for Euro-union.

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

It's like what the politicians think.

We are to thick to understand this common euro union malarkey.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

When did we leave the common market...?

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

So the Electoral Commission assumes we are thick, just like the Tory party and most producers of television programmes.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

hssutton

your spot on most kids and under 35's have been dumbed down at school and in the media and are lost on whats in the news on world affairs and politics. its all celeb news and soap sagas they are interested in.

what annoys me is when these people vote its not on what the policy of the party is but the celeb status of the leader from the media.

I can see why so many employers here go for good english speaking poles rather that home educated youngsters.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If the question was "Do you think that the United Kingdom should leave the European Union?" then there would be no doubt that we were in it. (and up to our necks I may add)

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

It would be easier to accept your 'dumbed down' statement about the present kids were it not for the plethora of 'English' errors in your own post (right from line one, word one!) - unless, of course, you are also under 35 and suffered it, too.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

spider9

My english grammer is poor accepted. I feel I am more aware of world affairs etc than young people i meet these days.

Not all are dumbed down but there sure is a lot of them.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I don't know if lotvic is pro-EU and chub_tor anti but that is the implication of their preferred questions.

'Remain' and 'leave' are leading words. The former would be more likely to see a vote to stay in.

It has nothing to do with the Electoral Commission assuming 'we' are thick. It doesn't have to assume because there is a wealth of evidence to show that one word changes in a question change the response. If that makes 'us' thick then that is what we are.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......